Being a local government leader today is harder than ever and there's a persistent challenge facing many managers in how they can lead their organizations and communities to address their most pressing social, economic, and public service issues. Cybersecurity, recruitment and retention, public safety, community engagement, performance measures...it's all in a day's work.
So how are other local government leaders successful during their challenging moments? How do they bounce back? What strategies are they putting in place to drive a better community in 2020? At this year's 2020 ICMA Regional Conferences, the focus will be answering these questions and helping you and your community tackle its gnarly issues, as well as discussing key topics relevant to local government.
Where Is the Regional Conference Content Coming From? You!
To generate the content for each regional event, state associations from their respective regions met to discuss the major challenges making an impact in their communities. From these discussions, as well as from the 2020 ICMA Regional Conference Call for Presentations, ICMA is creating a comprehensive program to address each region's pain points. Below are some examples of issues and topics that were discussed and submitted:
- Southeast: Cybersecurity, climate change, economic development, affordable housing, and social and equity issues.
- West Coast: Cybersecurity, accessibility issues as dimensions of equity and inclusion, employee retention practices, and workforce development.
- Mountain Plains: Cybersecurity, affordable housing, workforce development, and infrastructure.
- Northeast: Cybersecurity, advocating for the profession, public safety, infrastructure, and civility.
- Midwest: Cybersecurity, succession planning, workforce development, advocating for the profession, and civility.
Dates and Locations of the U.S.-based 2020 ICMA Regional Conferences
- Southeast: March 4-6 | Durham, North Carolina.
- West Coast: March 18-20 | Vancouver, Washington.
- Mountain Plains: March 25-27 | Irving, Texas.
- Northeast: April 1-3 | Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Midwest: April 22-24 | Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Registration Open Dates
New this year, ICMA is staggering the registration opening dates for each of the regional conferences. You'll receive an announcement in your inbox when registration is open for your respective region!
- Southeast: OPEN NOW
- West Coast: Wednesday, January 22
- Mountain Plains: Monday, January 27
- Northeast: Monday, February 3
- Midwest: Monday, February 24
What We Have Planned So Far
- Two-and-a-half days of inspirational sessions, a keynote on cybersecurity, networking opportunities, and an ICMA University workshop.
- Roundtable discussions on hot topics.
- An unrivaled opportunity to meet your peers and connect with local government experts.
- Evening social events with light bites and complimentary beverages.
- A walking tour and mobile workshop.
You'll hear presentations that deliver actionable tactics to solve your greatest challenges. You'll meet local government leaders from your region who are redefining how to manage the ever-changing community challenges. And you'll gain the skills you need to keep ahead of the curve and continue your leadership and professional development in 2020. See you there!