February 28, 2022, 12:30 - 2:00 PM ET: VIEW VIDEO
Leading While Black in Local Government
Learn how Black local government leaders navigate historical and future challenges in their careers
During this Black History Month event, you will hear from Tanisha Briley, City Manager, Gaithersburg, MD; Jerome Fletcher, II, City Manager, North Port, FL; Tammi Saddler Jones, ICMA-CM, City Manager, South Fulton, GA; and Mark Washington, City Manager, Grand Rapids, MI, as they courageously discuss the opportunities and potential pitfalls of navigating a career as a Black professional in local government.
This interactive discussion will be moderated by Marc Ott, ICMA CEO/ED, who will engage the panelists as they share their experiences in public service.
December 17, 2021, 12:30-2:00 PM ET: VIEW VIDEO
Equity Officers in Local Government
Organizations are increasingly hiring equity officers, some into established departments with budgets and staff, and others into new-to-the-organization-chart roles. Whether an equity officer is well-versed or new to the work, many continue to experience resistance and limited support for their roles.
Join us for a panel discussion with members of ICMA’s Equity Officer Institute on the challenges and successes of leading transformative equity and inclusion work in local government.
- Jonathan Butler, JD, equity manager, San Antonio, Texas
- Jacqueline Guzman, deputy city manager, Sunnyvale, California
- Steve Ruger, deputy city manager, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
November 29, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: VIEW VIDEO
Native and Indigenous Leaders Leading in Local Government
As we look to recognize National Native American Heritage Month, join a panel of local government leaders who are part of the Native and Indigenous communities, as they share their challenges, advice, and insight into their roles in helping communities expand inclusiveness and equity.
- Daphne Emm-Hooper, ICMA-CM, City Manager, City of Fernley, NV
- Mike Miller, City Manager, City of Muskogee, OK
November 9, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: View Video
A Life in Public Service: Three stories of the transition from the military to local government
For many, the words “equity and inclusion” first brings to mind groups who have been discriminated against and sadly there are MANY. Most don't think of “Veterans” as one of these groups. Unfortunately Veterans have been discriminated against so often that there are now Federal Laws that protect them. Fortunately, discrimination has not stopped any of our panelists from being successful and they are excited to tell you about their journey in public service - from the military to local government.
- Marty Hughes, Assistant City Manager, Kennesaw, GA
- Dominique Lazo-Johnson, Community Relations Specialist, Fayetteville, NC
- Henry Hayes, Town Manager, Sudbury, MA
Moderator: Lynn Phillips, Senior Program Manager, Veterans Programs, ICMA Career and Equity Advancement Division
July 20, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: View Video
Creating a Truly Inclusive Culture
Inclusion and accessibility, means better understanding and addressing the issues around disability, accessibility and the “stigma” surrounding mental health. Join Michael Boynton, Town Manager, Medway, MA, Trish Stiles, Town Administrator, Bennett, CO and Melissa Wiley, Deputy Town Administrator, Erie, CO for a candid conversation about the challenges and mind shift needed to be truly inclusive as a local government organization and community as well as becoming aware of opportunities to increase accessibility for all.
- Michael Boyton, Town Manager Medway, Massachusetts
- Trish Stiles, Town Administrator Bennett, Colorado
- Melissa Wiley, Deputy Town Administrator Erie, Colorado
June 15, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: View Video
The LGBTQIA+ Experience in Local Government
Join a panel of local government leaders who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community to explore the professional challenges they face and their role in helping communities expand inclusiveness and equity.
- Steve Ruger, Deputy City Manager, City of Rio Rancho, New Mexico
- Pam Davis, Assistant City Manager, City of Boulder, Colorado
- Alexander (Alex) D. McIntyre, City Manager, City of San Buenaventura (Ventura), California
- Eric Osterberg, Assistant to the City Manager, City of Klamath Falls, Oregon
- Steve Rogers, Town Manager, Yountville, California
May 21, 2021, 12:00-1:00 PM ET: View Video
Asian American Experience in Local Government Part 2: Pioneers in our Hometowns (Asian-Pacific Heritage Month)
ICMA and I-NAPA present a conversation with early and mid-career Asian and Asian American professionals about challenges and opportunities as they establish leadership roles in local government.
- Genesis Gavino, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Dallas, Texas
- Tadayoshi Kawawa, Finance Officer, Metropolitan Government of Nashville & Davidson County General Sessions Court
- Hyun Kim, City Manager, City of Fife, Washington
- Aishwarya Kumar, Operations Analyst, City Manager’s Office, City of Decatur, Georgia
- Neha Subramanyam, Policy Analyst, City of Hillsboro, Oregon
- Elaine Wang, Assistant Town Manager, Town of Barre, Vermont
- Ed Shikada, Moderator
May 12, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: View Video
Coming Out of the Darkness: Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Helaine Zack MME Manager in Transition Counselor
- Thomas Wieczorek, Director Center for Public Safety Management LLC
April 21, 2021, 12:30-1:30 PM ET: View Video
Asian-American Experience in Local Government
- Pat Martel, ICMA West Coast Regional Director (moderator)
- Mona Miyasato, County Executive, County of Santa Barbara, CA
- Charles Ozaki, Senior Advisor, Colorado City and County Management Association
- Ed Shikada, ICMA Executive Board Member and I-NAPA Interim President
- Kathleen Yang-Calyton, Clinical Assistant Professor | Director of Civic Partnerships Department of Public Administration | University of Illinois at Chicago.
March 16, 2021: View Video
To commemorate National Women’s History Month, our next Living History conversation will be with three women pioneer managers in the profession.
- Sherry Suttles
- Peggy Merriss
- Valerie Lemmie
February 22, 2021: View Video
Sy Murray and Marc Ott: A conversation with Marc Ott, ICMA’s first black Executive Director and Sy Murray, ICMA’s first black President