The City of Blue Springs, a vibrant and diverse suburb of Kansas City, Missouri, is seeking an Assistant City Administrator.
This individual will be skilled at guiding processes and systems, working closely with the community and stakeholders in a fast-paced environment that leverages technology, and ensures that employees have the tools and environment needed to deliver superior services. The role will provide professional staff assistance to the City Administrator, Mayor, City Council, and departments on a wide variety of tasks. Departments reporting directly to this position will include Communications, Parks and Recreation, Finance, and Information Technology.
Serving as a key member of the leadership team, the Assistant City Administrator will have the ability to quickly engender the confidence and trust of the City Council, staff, and community-at-large. The ideal candidate conducts broad organizational analysis and prepare reports and recommendations on a range of municipal policies, procedures, and services. Coordinates special projects/initiatives as assigned. The individual selected will be dedicated to the practice of continuous improvement. A demonstrated history of maximizing efficiencies and successfully advancing the strategic priorities and goals of a department, community, and organization is strongly preferred. This position will serve as the Acting City Administrator in the absence of the City Administrator.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
▪ A Master’s degree in public administration, business administration or a related field is strongly preferred, as well progressively responsible experience in an organization of comparable size or complexity.
▪ Five years of progressively responsible experience in an administrative capacity.
▪ Experience in managing/supervising staff with direct line responsibility for program implementation and service delivery.
▪ Budget and CIP experience required.
▪ The ability to convey complex job-specific information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
▪ Adapt readily and quickly to the changing dynamics of the workplace in terms of goals and objectives, technological changes and changing professional requirements.
▪ Strong, demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining appropriate professional working relationships with internal and external customers, ensuring adequate listening and problem-solving skills are used.
▪ Must possess the ability to understand and apply required general safety and job-specific loss control and risk management programs, policies, and techniques.
▪ Must have the capacity and demonstrated ability to: develop, implement, and manage a strategic plan for the position; provide consistently fair and equitable supervision of assigned staff, and provide leadership to ensure the achievement of personal, professional, and work-related goals and objectives; provide subject-matter expertise in terms of training subordinate staff, providing information to peers, and making presentations of plans and ideas to City Administration; manage multiple projects and issues to ensure completion of assigned tasks; understand and apply specific City and department requirements, policies, and procedures when completing assigned tasks.
▪ Technologically savvy with an eye to automate and innovate empowering tech solutions.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The annual salary for this position will range from $150,000 to 174,000. depending on qualifications / experience;
The City offers a robust benefit program, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident, critical illness, free gym membership, wellness program, deferred compensation savings options, and participation in the State of Missouri LAGERS defined benefit retirement program.
Relocation is negotiable.
THE CITY OF BLUE SPRINGS, MISSOURI
The City of Blue Springs, Missouri is governed in accordance with a home rule charter city in which the citizens elect the Mayor and six council members from three geographic districts. Under the home rule charter, all policymaking and legislative authority is vested in the City Council. The governing body is responsible for passing ordinances, adopting the annual budget and tax levy, and appointing committees. The City Administrator, as the city’s chief administrative officer, is responsible for carrying out the policies and ordinances adopted by the City Council, overseeing day-to-day operations, and appointing the directors of the various city departments.
The City of Blue Springs provides a full range of municipal services including police protection; water and sanitary sewerage utilities; planning, construction and maintenance of highways, streets and infrastructure; community planning and development; planning, maintenance and construction of parks facilities; recreational activities; youth outreach programs; “50-Plus” social services; and general administrative oversight.
The City is recognized as a community of choice for many reasons:
Blue Springs is known for its favorable housing market, award-winning schools, and its designation as a preferred place to live for commuters. An average annual growth rate of 1.5% per year means that more people than ever are making Blue Springs their community of choice. Blue Springs’ geographic location proximity to Kansas City makes it an attractive residential area and a hub for commerce. Blue Springs takes pride in its nationally recognized park system, featuring 22 city parks, where residents can enjoy beautiful landscapes and take part in recreation activities.
▪ The City anticipates a 90-120 day selection and hiring process which will include video, in-person and panel interviews. Candidate travel will be reimbursed.
▪ The City of Blue Springs is an organization that strives to embrace the spirit of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment in which all individuals have access to the City's facilities. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.