Community and Economic Development Director
The Village of Savoy (population 8,857) is looking for a visionary and experienced leader with the ability to effectively manage staff and change; lead the Village’s planning and zoning operations; create sustainable and meaningful economic development programs; and attract, then retain, new commercial and industrial development. The incoming Director will lead and collaborate on various in-progress projects like creating and marketing Downtown Savoy; completing a Unified Development Ordinance; assisting with Parks Master Planning; establishing business retention practices; and appropriately forecasting future community growth and land-use needs.
This is a salaried, full-time, and exempt position that reports to the Village Administrator. The Director leads a team of 5 full-time employees; oversees an operating budget of approximately $930,000; and administers 2 tax increment financing (TIF) districts. The successful candidate should be able to collect, organize, evaluate, and comprehend complex data information; use pertinent economic and financial data to support recommendations; develop and implement marketing strategies geared towards attracting residential, office, retail, and industrial projects; and prepare urban planning studies, policy proposals, and implementation strategies.
• Bachelor’s degree in economic development, urban planning, business administration, public administration, or a closely related field.
• Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in public administration, planning, community development, or economic development including (3) years of supervisory experience in this field.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Illinois Driver’s License.
• Master’s degree in economic development, urban planning, business administration, public administration, or a closely related field.
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in public administration, planning, community development, or economic development including five (5) years of supervisory experience in this field.
• Hold at least one of the following or similar professional licenses or certifications: American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP); the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD); Professional Community and Economic Developer Designation (PCED); or Economic Development Finance Professional Designation (EDFP).
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $75,000 to $100,000, depending on qualifications. Additionally, the Village offers free individual membership to the Village’s Recreation Center and offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation; sick leave; holiday pay; individual life insurance; 100% employer-paid employee health, dental, and vision insurance (employee pays 50% for dependents); and enrollment in IMRF. Village residency is preferred but not required.