City of Park City, UT
The ideal candidate is an experienced planning and development professional who balances “big picture” organizational planning principles and the day-to-day administration of the City’s Land Management Code (LMC), General Plan, and small business district and neighborhood plans. The Director manages an experienced team of planners to coordinate several high-profile boards and commissions, such as the Park City Planning Commission and Historic Preservation Board, and works with a myriad of important external stakeholders, including local media and non-profits. The Planning Director ensures that all development and building projects conform to the Park City LMC, and suggests and coordinates comprehensive and ad-hoc amendments to planning and zoning regulations as necessary.
Key components of the executive leadership position include strong technical and communication skills, astute situational and political awareness, and demonstrated experience working in a comparable world-class community or private-sector setting.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
• Mentors and supervises the Planning Division – operations, communications, code administration, and general plan and area planning updates.
• Reviews the LMC, Historic District Design Guidelines, and other important planning documents to organize, assess, and make official and final land-use determinations.
• Provides organizational leadership and technical expertise to support the City Council, boards, and commissions regarding planning and land-use activities. Serves as the staff representative in Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and Historic Preservation meetings.
• Reviews, conducts a public hearing, and acts as the land use authority for administrative applications, scheduled for weekly public hearings.
• Participates and coordinates local media and stakeholder interviews/updates regarding all community planning, redevelopment, and historic preservation.
• Facilitates long-range community planning programs, including land-use, transportation, economic development, environmental, and housing programs. Closely coordinates with the Engineering, Building, Transportation Planning, Housing, Public Works, and Sustainability Departments.
• Responsible for the Planning Department operating budget and other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Proficient in the principles and practices of community planning, land use, and project development review, including land use law, theory, and application.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the politically savvy know-how to manage diverse groups in a public setting. Excellent persuader and negotiator.
• Skilled in all aspects of municipal planning, such as planning and organizing comprehensive research studies.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
• Skilled in processing complete residential and commercial development applications, including site design and architectural review.
• Considerable knowledge and experience in restrictive design review processes.
• Ability to effectively supervise, train, mentor, motivate, and evaluate personnel.
• Knowledge of historic district standards and guidelines.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Planning or a related field.
• Ten (10) years’ of progressive experience with at least five years of experience in a supervisory role.
• Computer literacy in Microsoft Office software.
• Master’s degree in Planning or related field.
• AICP Certification.
• American Planning Association member or affiliation.
• Considerable resort and tourism industry experience.
Park City Municipal offers a variety of benefits including:
• Health insurance with premiums ranging from $0-$200 monthly, depending on selected plan.
• Annual merit increases based on performance.
• Vacation accrual starting at 10 hours/month, increasing every 5 years of service.
• Paid Sick Leave of 140 hours per calendar year.
• Paid Family Sick Leave of 120 per calendar year.
• Pet Insurance.
• Retirement options through the Utah Retirement System.
• Tuition Reimbursement up to $10,000 annually.
• Housing allowance for employees who live in the Park City School District.
• Transportation and Recreation – Free access to community athletic center (PC MARC), discounted skiing, tennis, ice rink, and golf; free UTA Transit Pass/Vanpool.
• Training and Development Opportunities.