- Board Diversity: Building a Diverse & Inclusive Profession
- March - August 2019 outreach and connection at the Regional Conferences; State Association meetings
- September 2019 issue of PM Magazine dedicated to the topic of Equity and Inclusion
- September 13: The Road to Leadership: One Day Workshop sponsored by ICMA, The Leagues of Women in Local Government, and Cigna
- PM Magazine: Equity and Inclusion (September 2019)
- Board Diversity Report (September 2019)
- Task Force Report on Women in the Profession
- Task Force on Strengthening Inclusiveness in the Profession
- State by state data on ICMA women members in the profession.
- Equity & Inclusion Resources
- Download the ICMA Equity & Inclusion Toolkit
See members working for change.
How ICMA is working to attract & support diverse leaders in local government
ICMA 2016 President Pat Martel, City Manager, Daly City, CA, explains why ICMA is committed to helping people succeed in local government leadership. She underscores the importance of reaching out to people of diverse backgrounds to reflect the communities they serve.
The Task Force on Strengthening Inclusiveness within the Profession kicked off its work at the 2014 Annual ICMA Conference in Charlotte, NC. Conference attendees were invited to participate in a session at the conference to share their ideas with the Task Force to help inform and inspire its work.
How are local governments welcoming people with diverse backgrounds?
Julie Underwood, Assistant City Manager, Daly City, CA, explains why diversity in local government professionals is important and steps to support it.
Member Spotlight: Julie Thuy Underwood
Julie Thuy Underwood, Assistant City Manager of Daly City, California, provides advice for women considering a local government career.
Member Spotlight: Amy Cunningham
Amy Cunningham, Administrative Services Director for the Town of Moraga, California, provides advice for students thinking about a local government career and shares the highlight of her career so far.
Member Spotlight: Aretha Ferrell-Benavides
Aretha Ferrell-Benavides, City Manager of Glenn Heights, Texas, describes her experience in one of ICMA's Global Programs.
Why I enjoy coaching up-and-comers in local government
Marcia Raines, City Manager of Millbrae, CA, describes how coaching is inspirational to her.