What The Members In Transition Program Can Do For You

ARTICLE | Sep 24, 2014

On a personal level, ICMA provides access to support services from ICMA leadership, senior management staff, Senior Advisors, and other members. Members are given the opportunity to have their names listed in the ICMA Newsletter and at icma.org as "in transition."  Their colleagues are encouraged to respond individually with advice and support. Colleagues should also keep in mind that members in transition are wonderful resources for short-term and interim assignments. In addition, each member in transition receives access to special articles and other publications designed to address common concerns during this difficult time. Click here for one example, a Colorado manual for managers in transition.

On a financial level, ICMA waives dues payments in six-month increments for up to three years. To facilitate networking with their fellow managers and to promote professional development while in transition, the registration fees for the annual conference and for one 90-minute webconference per month are waived. What’s more, we’ve made the registration process easy: Just register online as you would normally register, and because we have you listed as a member in transition the fee will balance out to zero at the end of the process. Members in transition are also given the opportunity to compete for a travel and lodging assistance scholarship. (For those who still cannot attend the annual conference, archived virtual conference materials are provided free of charge after the event.)

In addition, ICMA-RC has developed a valuable brochure geared specifically to the financial needs of members in transition. They also provide a special 800 number that you can use if you have questions about how to handle your retirement savings during transition.

Since ICMA membership belongs to the individual, not the local government, it is important for members to contact ICMA whenever there is a change in employment status. E-mail membership@icma.org or call 202-962-3680.



You may also be interested in