Governmental Affairs and Policy Committee members have identified these issues as critical to local government administration:
- Financing and revenue diversity
- Public safety.
ICMA participates as a member of coalitions with Big 7 partners and other organizations to support policy initiatives, including the Pension Funding Task Force. ICMA, along with the other members of the Pension Funding Taskforce, released a one-page guide - Books, Bonds, and Budgets - in July 2013. The August 28 "Getting a Grip on GASB and Pension Funding" webinar explored these distinct calculations.
- Tax exempt financing
- Revenue diversity (shrinking federal and state resources)
- Pension funding
- Managing health care costs
- Implementing the Affordable Care Act
- Cyber security
- Climate change & Energy conservation
- Intergovernmental relations
- Regionalism and shared services
- Immigration reform
- Reintegrating Veterans