The City of Naples is seeking an experienced City Attorney with the highest degree of professionalism and ethics to serve as a trusted advisor to the City’s elected officials.
The City Attorney serves as the chief legal advisor to the council and city administrators and represents the city in legal proceedings and performs other related duties as the council may deem necessary. The mission of the City Attorney’s Office is “to provide legal counsel to the City Council, Advisory Boards and City staff on all matters involving City legal affairs in a thorough and proficient manner and to prosecute and defend vigorously, litigation before judicial and administrative agencies.”
The City Attorney must be currently licensed to practice law in Florida and be a member in good standing of the Florida Bar. They must possess a minimum of five years’ experience practicing law in the courts of the State of Florida, of which a minimum of three years consists of practice in the area of municipal government. Board certification in City, County, and Local Government preferred.
The attorney will be knowledgeable in the following municipal and other law including:
• Administrative matters and proceedings;
• City Charter and City Code of Ordinances issues;
• Code Enforcement;
• Contract Law;
• Drafting and reviewing ordinances and resolutions;
• Ethics Laws;
• Constitutional law;
• Applicable federal and state laws;
• Land use and zoning;
• Litigation in state and federal courts;
• Municipal leases and agreements;
• Public records and Sunshine Law matters
If the City Attorney is not already, they will be expected to quickly become proficient in all the above with respect to the laws and regulations of the City of Naples.
Interested firms or attorneys should convey the following information via email to City Manager, Jay Boodheshwar (JBoodheshwar@naplesgov.com):
• Letter of Interest, including credentials, earliest date available to commence service as City Attorney, fees for services option, specify if you plan to be present full-time at City Hall or via a hybrid plan
• Curriculum Vitae
• Minimum of three (3) reference letters from past/current clients including a summary of services provided to Florida municipalities
Closing date: March 25, 2024, at 5:00 pm EST
For questions or more information, please contact Ashley Simek, Talent Acquisition Manager at (239) 213-1810 or email@example.com