To view full posting go to: www.KRW-Associates.com/open-positions
The Town and Surrounding Community
The Town of Johnstown, Colorado (pop. 18,500), is located on the plains of Northern Colorado, along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent to the I-25 corridor. Once a rural farming community, Johnstown has grown and evolved into a vibrant area with many businesses, amenities, and services, all while maintaining its small-town charm. Uniquely situated in two counties (Weld and Larimer), Johnstown is just 45 miles north of Denver, and 25 miles south of Fort Collins and within an hour’s drive of Rocky Mountain National Park. The area has become a hub of activity offering attractive neighborhoods, high-quality shopping centers, and a pro-business climate. Johnstown is a fantastic area to live and raise a family, there is truly something here for everyone.
Johnstown’s historic downtown is a gathering spot and hosts community activities and festivals throughout the year. Residents enjoy doing business where they live and supporting the local restaurants, salons, boutique fitness studios, shops, and attractions including the Candlelight Dinner Playhouse, and the Hankins Farms Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch, to name a few. Many opportunities also exist for those who enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. Johnstown and the surrounding area offers hiking, biking, fishing, golfing, boating and recreational sports. Economically, Johnstown is healthy and growing. Community leaders are committed to partnering with regional economic development partners to attract new business and industry, while also supporting existing merchants and businesses. Capital improvements and expansion of infrastructure and housing has been a major focus. Numerous projects are underway to support current community needs and anticipated growth. While still an agriculture-based economy, other primary industries include Retail Business, Health Care, Professional, Scientific & Technical Services and Real Estate. Large employers who call Johnstown home include Canyon Bakery, Swire Coco Cola, High Country Beverage, US Engineering, FedEx (Distribution Center) and Scheels.
Johnstown is unique in that two school districts and two fire districts serve the community. The majority of residents fall within the boundaries of the Weld County School District RE-5J, however, the northwest section of town is served by the Thompson R2-J School District. Front Range Fire Rescue and the Loveland Fire Rescue Authority share the responsibility of providing fire protection and emergency services to Johnstown residents.
Johnstown is a home-rule municipality, governed by a Mayor and six Council members who are elected at-large, each serving a four-year term. The Police Chief reports to the Town Manager, who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Town and tasked with carrying out the Town’s mission. For more information go to: https://johnstown.colorado.gov
The Police Department
Johnstown is seeking a law enforcement professional, with command-level experience, and a community-oriented policing philosophy to succeed their retiring Chief of Police. The Department has enjoyed long-standing, stable leadership and strong community support. Full staffing includes 29 sworn officers and six non-sworn personnel. Sworn staff include the Chief of Police, one Commander, one Lieutenant, one Detective Sergeant and four Patrol Sergeants. This team oversees the work of 17 Patrol Officers (including a Traffic Unit), two Detectives, and two School Resource Officers (SRO’s). There are also two Code Enforcement Officers, three administrative staff and one evidence room technician to complete the non-sworn roster. Dispatch services are provided by the Weld County Communications Center. Officers also serve on the Larimer County Multi-Jurisdictional SWAT Team.
The 2024 Police Department budget is $10,265,820, which includes approximately $4M in capital improvement funds for the expansion of the existing police station.
The successful candidate has the opportunity to lead a solid team of committed professionals, serve as an important member of the Town’s executive leadership team and be directly involved with the design and planning of expanded Police Department facilities. Specifically, this position entails the proven ability to:
• Administer and supervise a Town-wide comprehensive law enforcement program;
• Exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making key decisions in emergency situations;
• Assure compliance with law enforcement best practices and procedures;
• Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials and other law enforcement agencies;
• Provide support and outreach to service and community organizations, private businesses, and the public; and
• Strategically plan for law enforcement/police protection needs for a rapidly growing community.
The Ideal Candidate
• A community policing advocate- visible and connected in the community and with a track record for ensuring public confidence in the Police Department.
• A visionary and strategic thinker- demonstrates strong leadership while planning for the future.
• A collaborator- builds strong professional alliances within the Town, and with area law enforcement/emergency service agencies.
• An experienced leader and incident commander- Able to oversee emergency operations, providing support to the officers and community during and after a critical incident.
• An excellent communicator- Demonstrates strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Comfortable in PIO role, when needed.
• Financially savvy- proficient in the development, management, and oversight of the PD budget.
• Accountable- operates with a high degree of personal integrity.
• Committed to officer training- Ensures public and officer safety and the use of best practices in current law enforcement.
• Diplomatic- a creative problem-solver and able to effectively manage sensitive law-enforcement matters, both internally and externally.
Opportunities and Challenges
This is an excellent opportunity to lead a dynamic and committed Police Department in a community positioned for growth. Johnstown PD has enjoyed years of stable leadership and the support of the Town Manager, Town Council, and community members. The successful candidate will build on this strong foundation of success, and community-orientated policing.
The primary challenge, as with most all law enforcement agencies, is recruiting qualified and well-suited officers to keep the department at full staffing. Historically, once hired, officer retention has not been a significant issue. The new Chief will be expected to help ensure that the retention of trained and qualified officers continues to be a top priority for Johnstown. As with any growing community, it is important that the successful candidate be committed to the safety of the community and be committed to addressing issues before they become a problem. The capital improvement plans for the Police Department will also be an important professional opportunity for the new Chief of Police.
• A bachelor’s degree, with major course work in criminal justice, criminology, or a related field.
• A master's degree in a related field is considered a plus.
• Attendance at the FBI National Academy, PERF-Senior Management Institute for Police, the Northwestern School of Police Staff & Command, or a similar program is a plus.
• A minimum of 8-10 years of experience with progressive advancement within a municipal police department or law enforcement agency, including five (5) years of command level experience.
• Demonstrated experience in leadership and supervisory roles.
• Must possess at time of employment, maintain, a valid Colorado class “C” driver’s license.
• Must be Colorado P.O.S.T. certified; or eligible to obtain certification within six (6) months of hire.
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience, which provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job may be considered.
• Must live within a 15-mile radius/30-minute response time of the Town of Johnstown.
Compensation & Benefits
The position includes a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package.
Expected Hiring Range: $151,900 - $186,007 (Depending on Qualifications)
Summary of Benefits
• CEBT Medical Plans (80% of the premium for employee and dependents paid by Town)
o A choice of three Heath Insurance Plans (United Healthcare Network)
o Health Savings Account (HSA) if enrolled in the high deductible plan
o Tele-medicine 24/7/365 (Teledoc)
o Dental plan (Delta Dental of Colorado),
o Prescription Drug Coverage (CVS Caremark)
o Vision plan (VSP)
• Retirement Benefits
o FPPA Statewide Retirement Plan -Social Security Component
o Social Security Participation
o 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan (up to 7% contribution from Town)
• Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance (The Standard)
• Short-term and Long-term disability insurance (The Standard)
• Voluntary Supplemental Life and AD&D coverage (available for purchase)
• Paid time off
o Vacation Time- 3 weeks per year, plus one additional day per year of service
o Holidays- 12 days per year,
o Floating holidays- 3 per year
o Sick leave- 12 days per year
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) (The Standard)
• Other programs associated with CEBT include Health & Wellness Centers, non-emergency surgery centers, a Digital Disease Management Program, Cancer Resource Services, Maternity Care, Post-employment benefits care, travel assistance,
• A free YMCA Membership
• A take-home vehicle is issued to the Chief of Police
KRW Associates LLC is assisting the Town of Johnstown, Colorado with this search.
Questions should be directed to: email@example.com or by phone to: KRW Managing Partner, Lorne Kramer at 719-310-8960; KRW Senior Associates, Mark Collins at 307-460-1941 or Gina McGrail at 303-249-9572.
The Town of Johnstown is an equal opportunity employer.