Assistant City Manager
City of Beaufort, SC
General Definition of Work
This position assists the City Manager with all facets of executive management of the City organization. The Assistant City Manager performs duties at the direction of the City Manager which may include, but is not limited to oversight of people, programs, business practices and execution of policies in support of priorities established by City Council.
The Assistant City Manager may be called on to represent City Staff and/or Council at various meetings and public events. When designated, acts as City Manager in absence of the same.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of the specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Oversees one or more departments of the City staff as designated by the City Manager.
• Assists with preparing staff for City Council meetings and other public meetings as needed.
• Researches, coordinates and develops draft policy documents, Resolutions and Ordinances as required.
• Attends and represents the City in various internal and external meetings to include staff meetings, public meetings and individual meetings with City stakeholders, members of the community, civic organizations and other governmental jurisdictions.
• Directs special projects and activities as needed to support City Council and Administration priorities.
• Evaluates staff, policies and programs and provides recommendations to the City Manager and City Council, as needed.
• Represents City Manager when required and, when so designated, acts as City Manager during absences of the same.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of local government administration under a South Carolina Council-Manager form of government.
• Understanding of urban land planning principles as they aply to local government zoning and planning concepts and practices.
• Working knowledge of basic governmental accounting practices, procurement processes and budgeting.
• Ability to plan, organize motivate people and direct activities toward the accomplishment of common goals or well-defined objectives.
• Must be proficient in communicating in writing, verbally and must be a competent public speaker.
• Must have effective interpersonal skills.
• Must be able to work well under pressure while always maintaining professional composure.
• Must be able to deal with difficult people and can initiate and lead de-escalation of volatile situations.
• Must have or obtain a valid SC Driver’s License
• Must be able to pass security background check.
• Must be able to work evenings and weekend when required.
• Position may involve minimal travel.
Education and Experience
• MPA, MBA or equivalent graduate degree preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, political science, public accounting, urban land planning, emergency operations, business management, or equivalent baccalaureate degree is mandatory.
• Minimum of 10 years management/supervisory experience in the public sector, preferably in local government.