Township of West Goshen, PA
West Goshen Township is seeking applications for the position of Zoning Officer in the Township's Codes Department. The individual in this position performs complex and routine administrative and public contact work in the interpretation and enforcement of adopted zoning codes and related rules and regulations. This position is responsible for oversight and enforcement of the Township’s Zoning Ordinance, which includes processing of Zoning Permit applications, conducting inspections, handling complaints regarding potential Zoning Ordinance and property maintenance code violations, and processes subdivision and land development applications (including monitoring mandated timelines). The individual in this position also administers the Township’s rental inspection program. This is an exempt position and reports to the Township Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Enforcement of municipal codes, including the Township’s Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision & Land Development Ordinance, and Property Maintenance Code. This includes, but is not limited to, the issuance of notices of violation, preparation for court action, and testimony at hearings.
• Administration and oversight of the Township’s Rental Inspection program, including sending notices to property owners and conducting inspections in accordance with the Township’s code.
• Processes Zoning Permit and Zoning Hearing Board applications, as well as attend meetings of the Township’s Zoning Hearing Board. This includes, but is not limited, handling the notification requirements for Zoning Hearing Board applications.
• Processes Subdivision & Land Development applications and monitor timelines pursuant to applicable laws.
• Patrol and inspection of agency jurisdiction to monitor for violations of local codes, including surveying of existing buildings for lack of maintenance, housing violations, or hazardous conditions.
• Receive and respond to complaints pertaining to potential municipal code violations.
• Assist with the preparation of ordinance amendments to Township codes.
• Attend meetings of the Township’s Board of Supervisors and Zoning Hearing Board. Additional night meetings may be required as necessary.
• Understanding of municipal operations.
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the PA Municipalities Planning Code.
• Experience and knowledge in the administration of municipal codes, including Zoning and Subdivision & Land Development Ordinances.
• General knowledge of construction and construction terms appropriate for zoning reviews.
• Knowledge of inspection practices and procedures.
Skills & Abilities:
• Computer operation, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Access) and municipal permitting software.
• Experience using GIS technology.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret a variety of documents, including technical and legal publications.
• Able to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
• Able to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or municipal boards.
• Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
• Able to prepare, organize and maintain inspection field data, reports and systems.
• Able to analyze complex situations, problems and data, and use sound judgment in drawing conclusions and making decisions.
• Able to comprehend and articulate complex facts and relationships in detail and to summarize and write clearly, concisely and legibly, and to testify in court in an objective, concise, and professional manner.
• Able to produce or obtain reports, graphs, charts, photographs or the evidence or exhibits.
• Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, employees, supervisors and the general public; able to follow verbal and written instructions.
• Able to handle stressful situations and effectively deal with difficult or angry people.
• At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Zoning Administration, Land Use Planning, or a related field. Additional experience may be considered to supplement this educational requirement.
• A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of municipal government experience.
• Valid PA Driver’s License, Class C (at time of hire) and ability to meet (and maintain), eligibility for inclusion under West Goshen Township’s vehicle insurance policy.
• ICC Property Maintenance Code certification required within six (6) months of hire.
While performing the essential duties of this position, the individual in this position is continuously sitting, walking or standing, reaching with hands and arms, climbing and balancing, and/or talking or hearing.
The employee frequently must lift a weight of up to 10 pounds.
The employee uses close and distant visions, as well as ability to adjust focus.
Work is primarily performed in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions. While performing the essential duties of this position, the individual in this position is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions and extreme cold, heat or humidity that is not weather related.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be misconstrued as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required to perform the job.
West Goshen Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer.