Public Works Director
City of Warrenton, OR
The City of Warrenton, Oregon (population 6,421) is recruiting its next Public Works Director. Warrenton sits on the northwestern tip of the Oregon Coast in Clatsop County with borders from the Columbia River and the Pacific Ocean. Warrenton offers uncompromised forest, beach, river, and mountain beauty. The city has a small-town feel with a spirit of volunteerism. Its geographic location also offers easy access to other coastal area attractions and a 1.5-hour drive away from the Portland metropolitan area.
Under the direction of the City Manager, the Public Works Director provides leadership and oversight of the Public Works Department and serves as a key member of the City’s management team. The Public Works Department is responsible for City infrastructure, enterprise utilities, transportation systems/planning, water, sewer, stormwater, and municipally operated garbage services. The position supervises up to 25 FTE positions and eligible employees are represented by an AFSCME union. The Director coordinates strategy and policy to ensure the City’s mission and core values are incorporated into operational activities and services.
The ideal candidate possesses and has demonstrated the following attributes:
• Strong leadership and management abilities
• Comprehensive municipal public works, utilities, and operations knowledge
• Demonstrated strategic and project planning skills
• Human resource experience
• Strong public finance and communication skills
• Experience with contract management
• An ability to foster effective community, Commission, and intergovernmental relations
• An appreciation Warrenton’s community attributes
A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, business administration, public administration or related field and at least three years of upper-level, preferably government, management experience are required. A State of Oregon Professional Engineer license and demonstrated experience in fiscal and capital budget management, strategic planning, and/or engagement with community members and elected officials is attractive. Combinations of relevant education and experience that demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform essential functions may be considered.
Compensation is $89,932 to $109,313 (DOQ) plus excellent benefits
Candidates are encouraged to review additional information on the following link: www.jensenstrategies.com/recruitment/warrentonpublicworks
To be considered, candidates must email the following applications materials to email@example.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2023.
(1) concise cover letter summarizing relevant background and qualifications for the position in PDF or Word format;
(2) resume in PDF or Word format;
(3) a Supplemental Application Form* in PDF or Word format;
and, if applicable,
(4) a completed and signed Oregon Veteran’s Preference form* in PDF or Word format, with supporting documentation.
* Form available at www.jensenstrategies.com/recruitment/warrentonpublicworks
Questions may be directed to:
The City of Warrenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.