Deputy City Manager for Community Services
SALARY: $153,108.80 - $245,148.80 Annually
OPENING DATE: 01/09/23
CLOSING DATE: 02/05/23 11:59 PM
Make an impact: Join the City of Salem as the Deputy City Manager for Community Services leading a wide variety of community programs and functions that will include the Salem Public Library, Parks and Recreation programs, Center 50+ (senior center), Public Art Commission, Neighborhood Associations, ADA, Youth educational programs, Homeless Response initiatives, etc. Support the City of Salem’s Department of Community Services in its mission to promote community involvement in neighborhood and city affairs that enhances the quality of life for Salem area citizens through access to human services, recreation opportunities, adequate housing, parks and open spaces, and livable neighborhoods.
What you will do: The Deputy City Manager for Community Services provides administrative management and strategic leadership in support of the City Manager to ensure the organization and community programs and services align with the City’s vision, goals, strategic plan, and priorities as defined by the City Council. This position will participate in community outreach programs and management of institutional change and discuss service provisions and improvements with the public, and effectively communicating with the City Manager, City Council, boards and commissions, and other decision bodies.
The Deputy City Manager for Community Services will develop sustainable budgets, maintain fiscal accountability, and plan for the long-term in collaboration with the Division Leaders. This includes administering and implementing $28M in parks upgrade and renovations as part of the Parks Improvement funding received from the $300M community bond measure passed in November 2022.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity and the beautiful City of Salem click here.
What can we offer you for all your hard work?
• Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
• Paid vacation and sick time in accordance with City policies.
• Competitive pay.
• Employer-paid PERS contribution of 6%.
• Opportunity for voluntary pre-tax contributions to a 457b account.
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts.
• Voluntary long-term care.
• Employee wellness program.
• Employee assistance program.
• Employee health clinic.
• And many more benefits! Go to https://www.cityofsalem.net/government/jobs/employment-information/unre…
What you will bring along:
• At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in municipal government working as a department leader or higher leading similar functions or areas.
• Prior experience in a similar size, full-service city is essential.
• Experience with a growing, diverse community along with a genuine interest in collaborative problem solving.
• Knowledge and understanding of municipal governance.
• Demonstrated leadership qualities such as employee development, community engagement, strategic thinking and a track record of accomplishment and success in these or similar areas.
• Forward thinking leader with an open mind and eye toward addressing high-priority community needs.
• Financial background with a strong understanding of budgets and financial management.
What are the minimum qualifications?
• Must pass the pre-employment background check.
• Must have an Oregon Driver license and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards.
• Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, or related area, and ten years of increasingly responsible public sector, municipal government, or management/business experience or closely related experience, including eight years of progressively responsible supervisory experience, and at least five years of demonstrated leadership responsibility as an executive/higher-level manager or administrator is required.
• A master's degree in public administration or related field preferred.
Additional information on job responsibilities:
• Plan, organize, and administer a wide range of diverse community services and programs such as for the Salem Public Library, Parks and Recreation programs, Center 50+ (senior center), Homeless Response initiatives, Public Art Commission, Neighborhood Associations, ADA, Youth educational programs, and other community services, partnerships, and priorities as assigned by the City Manager.
• Plan and communicate short and long-range goals, objectives, organizational structure, and overall direction for the assigned departments in conjunction with the City Manager, City Council, and the Executive Leadership Team.
• Serve as a resource and liaison to all City departments and City Council by providing leadership, guidance, and collaboration in support of the City’s mission, vision, and values and strategic plan in relation to all City services and programs.
• Prepare and present presentations and reports to the City Council, advisory boards, commissions, civic organizations, state legislative committees, community partners, and other groups and organizations on community issues.
• Participate in community outreach programs and management of institutional change; discuss service provisions and improvements with the public; maintain clear and informative reports to City Council, boards and commissions, and other decision bodies.
• Administer and implement $28M in parks upgrade and renovations as part of the Parks Improvement funding received from the $300M community bond measure passed in November 2022.
• Prepare, review, present, monitor, and administer departments budgets, identify and implement customer enhancements such as fee and staffing adjustments to maintain service levels in accordance with revenue projections, formulate new revenue sources, implement
• Review and establish completion dates for major projects, initiatives, and goals; track and review them with division administrators, department directors, City Manager, City Council, and project staff.
• Manage and oversee the daily operations of assigned departments and cross-functional teams, and projects; make decisions and implement needed changes as emerging issues or priorities may impact programs or services as needed.
• Identify potential problems and offer effective alternative solutions to resolve issues affecting the City; analyze issues based on conformance with City goals and objectives, applicable laws and regulations, and long-term benefits to City.
• Perform executive level administration of daily operations and supervision as assigned by the City Manager.
• Assume responsibility for all City Services in the absence of the City Manager.
About us: The City of Salem is the second largest City in the State of Oregon. Located in the lush Willamette Valley, Salem is the capital city of Oregon with a population over 170,000. Centrally located, Salem is 47 miles south of Portland and an hour from the Cascade Mountains to the east and an hour from the ocean beaches to the west. Salem is an exceptional community for living and working with exciting new and comfortable well-established neighborhoods and carefully preserved historic buildings.
A full-service City, Salem has eight primary departments:
Community Services, Finance, Fire, Enterprise Services, Legal, Police, Public Works, and Urban Development. Several departments also have functional divisions within their department. The City has five labor unions and employs roughly 1,350 talented and dedicated staff members. The Urban Renewal Agency and the Salem Housing Authority are separate municipal corporations. The Agency contracts with the City for services and the Authority is led by the Housing Administrator within the Urban Development department.
The Salem Strategic Plan, adopted by City Council in October 2017 and updated in 2021, articulates the mission, vision, values, and goals of the City organization. Council’s policy guidance and the City’s budget are organized around six broad result areas of: safe and healthy community; welcoming and livable community; strong and diverse economy; safe, reliable, and efficient infrastructure; natural environment stewardship; and good governance.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for Deputy City Manager or view by clicking here.
How can I apply?
The City of Salem invites individuals of all diverse communities and backgrounds to apply for our available job opportunities as we strive to provide the best service to everyone. The City of Salem is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and has a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to, and learning from each other, we are better able to serve the community.
To apply, go to https://www.cityofsalem.net/government/jobs, select the Deputy City Manager position and click on the green “Apply” button to complete your application. Hiring managers do not have access to view resumes as part of the application review process, please make sure to include how you meet the qualifications outlined in the class specification in your application.
Applicants that meet the minimum qualifications as outlined above but not selected for this position may be placed on an eligibility list, and candidates may be hired from the list. Eligibility lists are valid for six months. The City will send email notifications to eligible candidates about potential hiring opportunities so please ensure your email settings accept our system generated email notifications.
You may subscribe for automatic notification of job openings at the City of Salem through the Job Interest Cards – sign up today!
For more information about employment at the City of Salem, please visit our website at www.cityofsalem.net/jobs.