Provides leadership, strategic oversight, executive, administrative, and managerial duties related to planning, organizing, coordinating and directing components of the Town’s parks and trail facilities, recreation program, and open space operations. Establishes and enforces department goals and policies, manages budget, performs program contract management, directs supervisory personnel responsible for various programs and day-to-day operations, makes decisions affecting staff retention, advancement or discharge, and represents the department to the Town Council, outside agencies, and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Oversees, schedules, assigns, and supervises work and workers within Parks and Recreation Department and the Timnath Reservoir, providing basic field training and input on project approach; ensures the needs of the Parks and Recreation Department and the Reservoir and its employees are met; develops, implements, and modifies Standard Operating Procedures / Plans.
· Coordinates budget oversight of the Parks and Recreations Department; ensures projects are compliant, within budget, and follow all requirements; draft and review capital improvement plan for the Parks and Recreation Department.
· Prepare Request for Proposals / Bids, review submissions, and select contractors for projects, maintenance services and supplies.
· Manages and coordinates projects with employees, co-workers, and contractors; maintains proper records for all Town, County, State, and Federal projects and obtains all necessary permits; keeps accurate records of work performed, materials used, and maintenance records on all equipment.
· Serve as Project Manager for various ongoing projects, meet with contractors, manage invoices, and draft and submit memos and reports making presentations to Parks Advisory Committee and to Town Council.
· Develops, organizes, and supervises the operations, activities and programs for adult and youth recreation activities.
· Develops, coordinates, and manages third-party agreements for recreational services within the Town.
· Innovates new programming, services and events that promote the Town of Timnath.
· Inspect materials and workmanship to insure highest level of completion and compliance with all pertinent codes and criterion as applicable.
· Oversee construction site activities, winter hazard mitigation procedures, safety scheduling for maintenance, repairs, and replacements, town park inspections, and monitor all Town grounds, gardens, and open spaces.
· Coordinates and manages lease agreement with the New Cache La Poudre Reservoir Company.
· Oversee and manage playground safety procedures and maintains playgrounds to proper level of service.
· Coordinates waste removal and cleaning contracts, or staff, at Town managed park facilities.
· Oversee Town facility recreation rental programs.
· Oversee reservoir permits and usage statistics.
· Oversee fishery management plan for the Timnath Reservoir.
· Participate and coordinate staff for Timnath events held at Town managed park facilities.
· Interact with members of the public to provide information and customer service, notating and responding appropriately to consumer comments or complaints; implement emergency procedures.
· Coordinate and lead annual insurer inspections of all Town Parks and Recreation Department and the Reservoir facilities, oversee corrective measures if needed.
· Facilitate effective communication with employees, co-workers, and supervisors and dealing directly with issues; communicate information from supervisors and other Town officials to co-workers and employees.
· Assist other agency public services departments with coordination of tasks.
· Maintains accurate records and daily logs, prepares summary of monthly work orders completed by staff.
· Work beyond standard workday or workweek hours and be available to participate at various Council meetings or committees within the Town.
· Research, apply, and manage grants related to parks facilities and recreation activities.
· Perform all other work as needed or assigned.
· Knowledge of equipment, materials, policies, practices, and regulations relative to parks, trails, natural water bodies and other appropriate activities
· Ability to operate office machines and personal computers
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
· Strong interpersonal, communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
· Ability to create and give presentations within departments, to Town Council, to the Parks Recreation Open Space and Trails Committee and to the Public
· Knowledge of and willingness to comply with all rules and regulations of the Town
· Understand and apply Town and departmental policies and procedures, and pertinent state and local regulations relating to natural water bodies and emergency operations
· Ability to develop and implement department policies and enforce facility rules
· Must have some understanding of general construction practices and be proficient with various hand tools
· Knowledge of contract documents and specifications
· Knowledge of budget preparation cost estimating, monitoring, and fiscal management principles, and procedures
· Ability to read blueprints, plans, construction drawings, contracts, and maps
· Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose problems
· Ability to exercise independent judgment and to formulate work procedures within the limits of the position to accomplish assigned tasks
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· 4-year college degree and certified professional with the NRPA (National Recreation and Park Association) or degree in Parks and Recreation or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant job experience may be substituted
· Must have at least seven years’ experience in parks and recreation, public works maintenance or construction
· Must obtain NRPA certification within one year and NRPA Executive certification within two years
· Must obtain Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) within one year
· CPR certified preferred
· Proficiency with recreation programming software