TITLE: Human Resource Specialist (part time)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Plans, direct, reviews, and administers the activities and operations of the human resources for the Town of Capitol Heights. Duties include activities related to recruitment, classification, compensation, benefits, labor relations, personnel policies and procedures, employee development and training and workers compensation.
Human resources specialist Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages and coordinates the Town of Capitol Heights, staffing and operational activities for human resources including recruitment, classification, compensation, benefits, labor relations personnel policies and procedures, employee development and training and workers compensation.
• Organizes and directs activities connected with employment, recruitment, and candidate selection processes. Assures compliance with recruitment policies and procedures. Coordinates and participates in reviews of application, candidate interviews, verification of skills and abilities, and references.
• Develops training programs and conducts associated needs assessments.
• Coordinates and/or participates in various human resources activities such as development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for human resource programs including and maintaining of communications materials.
• Consults with management and employees to resolve sensitive and significant personnel issues such as grievances, employee discipline, terminations, etc.
• Serves as advisor to management staff on matters such as performance management, skill development, general morale, and other employee relation matters. Evaluates human relations and work-related problems recommending the most effective solution.
• Interprets and provides information on human resources policies, rules, regulation.
• Communicates salary and benefit programs to employees. Collects, analyzes and prepares information for purposes of determining salary placement. Ensures that employees get timely service on benefits matters.
• Receives filed claims and lawsuits against the town, reviewing, analyzing and forwarding to the town’s insurance carrier or council.
• Communicates, orients, and enforces personnel policies. Investigates incidents, accidents and other job-related claims, conferring with managers and employees and recommending actions.
• nitors employee time using ADP time system.
• Participates in employee relation activities including preparation for disciplinary actions.
• Perform other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
• This position reports to the Town Administrator.
• This position has supervisory and/or management responsibility as may be delegated to them. There is potential for the supervision of employees for certain events or activities as delegated by the Town Administrator.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required to Perform Essential Functions
The successful candidate:
• Requires specialized professional knowledge of the principles, practices and procedure of classification, compensation, benefits, employment, conflict resolution and other human resources services
• Requires in-depth knowledge of federal and state laws governing employment and other human resources functions
• Requires special skill at a facilitating small group process, for resolving complex problems and working with diverse groups (e.g., and advisory board and administrative team.).
• Requires well-developed written language skills to prepare complex reports and to draft policies and procedures.
• Requires well-developed human relations skills to communicate technical concepts to others often in formal presentation settings, may conduct training to build an effective team, counsel employees, and resolve confrontations.
• Requires the ability to carry out the objectives and duties of the position.
• Requires the ability to research and oversee the management and coordination of the employee benefits program for the town. Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding the design and delivery of benefits.
• Must be able to analyze problems, prepare reports, and develop recommendations on personnel actions that are fair and in the best interest of the town.
• Develop and maintains systems that provide for proper documentation, evaluation, and control of personnel records
• Requires the ability to plan, organize and prioritize complex and technical work processes in a high-volume environment in order to meet schedules and timelines.
• Requires the ability to communicate technical information and to interact with administrators, elected officials, staff, and representatives of outside agencies
• Requires skill in use of basic personal computer software programs, including word processing, spreadsheet software programs, scanner and other business/ office equipment
• Requires the ability to work as a contributing member of a team, work productively and cooperatively with other teams and external customers, and convey a positive image of the town and its services.
• A Bachelor’s degree preferably in business, human resources management, public administration or a related field. Previous experience in human resources is required.
• Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible human resources management.
• Ability to conduct activities involving walking, standing and sitting
• Ability to grasp and manipulate office equipment and materials
• Ability to conduct activities on a moderate basis involving balancing, stooping, kneeling/bending, twisting, climbing and reaching
• Ability to participate in routine conversation in person or via telephone and to distinguish telephone voice and audio tones.
• Ability to distinguish objects in low and bright light using visual capacity including peripheral vision, depth perception, color vision, and a far and near acuity to fulfill responsibilities of the position
• Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods of time
• Ability to operate a vehicle or use public transportation
Approximately 100% of this position’s duties are performed within an indoor or protected environment
Position type/expected hours of work
This is a part time permanent position (30 hours per week). Days and hours of operation are Monday- Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm. May be expected to work evenings and/or weekends during town sponsored events
Note: This Class description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Town of Capitol Heights.
Candidates are subject to completing a pre-employment screening and a background investigation. For more information, check out our website at www.capitolheightsmd.gov
Equal Opportunity Employer and Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The Town of Capitol Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or genetic information.
ADA requires the Town of Capitol Heights to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
All Town employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 except for employees who request a medical or religious exemption.