The Town of Sahuarita, Arizona seeks a dynamic and dedicated professional to serve as its next Public Works Director. Located just 20 minutes south of downtown Tucson, Sahuarita is replete with outdoor activities and is a short drive from the Tucson International Airport and the University of Arizona. In citizen surveys, Sahuarita receives high marks for its reputation, lifestyle, responsive and knowledgeable employees, and delivery of core services, such as public safety, roads, infrastructure, wastewater reclamation, and parks.
The incumbent is a visionary who can anticipate and design infrastructure that meets the community’s future needs and who leverages new technologies, equipment, and leading industry standards to improve efficiency and service delivery. The Public Works Director is expected to be a collaborator who actively engages employees at all levels and an excellent communicator who can work effectively with elected officials, Town management and staff, outside agencies, the media, and the public.
You may view the recruitment brochure here: https://sahuaritaaz.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8020/PW-Director-Recruitmen…
Directs, plans, organizes, and administers all programs, functions, and activities of the Public Works Department from an engineering and public works perspective. Provides leadership as a member of the Town’s executive team and ensures that public services are provided in alignment with the Town’s strategic plan. Collaboratively and cooperatively works with the Mayor, Council Members, Town Manager, department directors and other senior managers to analyze organization and community needs and acts in response to those needs. This position works under the direction of the Assistant Town Manager.
• Plans, organizes, and coordinates all programs, functions, and activities to fulfill transportation, planning, street maintenance, engineering, traffic maintenance, facilities management and fleet and equipment maintenance requirements of the Town.
• Plans, organizes, and coordinates all programs, functions, and activities including water and wastewater treatment facilities, water production and distribution, wastewater collection and pumping, water resources and conservation, environmental compliance, planning, engineering, quality, system operations and maintenance requirements of the Town. Responsible for all programs and functions of wastewater billing services.
• Plans, organizes, and coordinates all programs, functions, and activities to fulfill facilities maintenance requirements for all Town owned facilities (excluding parks).
• Responsible for all programs, functions and activities related to floodplain management for the Town.
• Works with the public, internal and external agencies by responding to requests and inquiries, meeting with business representatives, coordinating projects with developers and consultants, coordinating construction projects, and representing the Town in meetings and on committees. Works closely with the Planning and Building Department to assist with reviews of development and improvement plans.
• Ensures that operations conform to local, state, and federal government regulations and other applicable rules and policies.
• Directs the development and administration of budgets, policies, projects, and programs of the department to deliver high quality services effectively and efficiently to the community.
• Confers with and advises the Town Manager’s office on issues, problems, or challenges impacting public works functions and attends and makes presentations at council meetings.
• Responsible for the construction, operation, administration, and maintenance of the Town’s infrastructure, and works cooperatively with the Parks and Recreation Department and Planning and Building Department.
• Provides information, technical assistance, and comprehensive project review to engineers and developers to ensure construction plans and improvements conform to rules and regulations.
• Provides direction for and coordinates engineering plan review, off-site construction, improvement projects, field inspections, and construction of public infrastructure.
• Works with the executive team, Town Manager’s office and Council in achieving the Town’s goals for the Strategic Plan. Will implement goals for the department working cooperatively with all departments as needed to achieve the Public Works Department’s strategic priorities.
• Advises the Town Manager, the Mayor and the Town Council on legislative issues affecting public works.
• Represents the Town at meetings with outside agencies regarding infrastructure planning, regional issues and concerns, and other issues as directed by the Town Manager’s office. Ensures regional coordination and communication is established and maintained for future planning and expansion needs.
• Directs staff activities by planning and prioritizing tasks, ensuring policy and procedure compliance, participating in the hiring process, recommending changes and adjustments, and monitoring and evaluating staff performance and development.
• Establishes and maintains partnerships and effective working relationships with other departments, agencies, local businesses, community groups and professional organizations, such as the American Public Works Association, ATB, WTS and other pertinent organizations.
• Researches, submits, and administers regional, state, and federal funding programs.
• Coordinates with the Town’s Public Affairs team to provide information to the media and the public regarding public works and planning concerns.
• Prepares and submits routine, recurring, technical and special reports, analyses, and recommendations using statistical data to identify trends, needs and resources, and to develop operation projections.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• The above duties and responsibilities are not an all-inclusive list but rather a general representation of the duties and responsibilities associated with this position. The duties and responsibilities are subject to change as the needs of the Town and requirements of the position change.
• Incumbent will be expected to have the ability and capability, with or without accommodations, to perform these Essential Functions, and other functions and tasks as required and/or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of Public Works administration.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructures, water and wastewater systems, transportation planning, streets and roads, and facilities management.
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, statutes, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they apply to the Town.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with State, Federal, and other local officials, elected officials, subordinate staff, Town employees and Town residents.
• Skill in operating computerized equipment, specialized computer software and applications.
• Situational reasoning skills allowing for the ability to exercise judgement, decisiveness and innovation in situations involving broader aspects of the organization.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to read and interpret statistical and analytical documents, reports, research material and information, blueprints, and maps.
• Ability to prepare oral, written, and graphic reports and documents, and present the information in public.
• Ability to exert light physical effort including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, etc. of objects and materials of light weight (generally 25 pounds and less).
• This position is typically office or administrative work and may involve extended periods of time in a seated position and at a keyboard or workstation. Occasionally this position may be exposed to uneven terrain, loud noises, noxious odors, unsanitary conditions, chemicals, electricity, moving mechanical parts, varying weather conditions, and other related conditions and situations and may be subject to atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
• Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field.
• Seven years’ experience working in civil engineering or public works, three years of which must be in the public sector.
• Three years of supervisory or management level experience or any equivalent combination of formal education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Master’s degree.
• A valid Arizona driver’s license is required within ten days of hire.
• Local travel is required.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Town of Sahuarita and the employee and is subject to change by the Town of Sahuarita as needed.
The Town of Sahuarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Town of Sahuarita will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with a member of the Human Resources Department. Management’s vision is for all employees to embrace, support, and promote the Town’s values, beliefs, and culture, which include but are not limited to the following expected behaviors:
High ethical standards
Active participation in teamwork
Strong safety principles and safety awareness
Provide outstanding customer service to internal and external customers