Seeking an experienced leader with a demonstrated commitment to community outreach and service, to accept the position of City Manager. Salary Range: $180,000—$215,000 DOQ- Plus, excellent benefits
To view full job posting go to: https://www.krw-associates.com/open-positions/
• Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, business administration or closely related field.
• A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in municipal or county government.
• A combined equivalent of education and experience which provides the applicant the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the job.
• Applicants with experience as a deputy manager, assistant manager or department head will be given strong consideration.
• A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
• Bilingual skills are a plus.
The City of Glenwood Springs is being assisted by KRW Associates, LLC.
Submit application materials to: apply@KRW-associates.com
Attach a cover letter, resume; and contact information for 6 professional references.
Deadline: July 15, 2022 (5:00 PM Mountain)
KRW Associates LLC is assisting the City of Glenwood Springs with this search.
Questions should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. or by phone to: Lorne Kramer, KRW Managing Partner - 719-310-8960; Mark Collins, KRW Associate - 307-460-1941; or
Gina McGrail, KRW Senior Associate -303-249-9572.
The City of Glenwood Springs is an equal opportunity employer.
THE CITY & SURROUNDING AREA
Located 160 miles west of Denver and 90 miles east of Grand Junction on Interstate 70, just west of the beautiful Glenwood Canyon, sits the City of Glenwood Springs, CO (pop. 9,663) It is a home rule municipality and the county seat of Garfield County. Glenwood Springs is a beautiful and unique Colorado mountain town with a rich history and an attractive modern lifestyle. Tourism continues to be a main driver of the City’s economy.
With abundant sunshine during all-four seasons and surrounded by natural beauty, residents and visitors enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle year-round.
The Glenwood Hot Springs Pool, the world’s largest mineral hot springs pool, is located in the middle of town. It has been drawing visitors from all over the world since 1888. Upgraded and modernized over the years, it continues to be a main attraction for locals and visitors wanting fun, relaxation and the wellness benefits of the mineral waters. This is just one of several hot springs in the area.
Other popular activities and attractions include hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, paddle boarding, paragliding, rafting, kayaking, golfing, skiing, shopping, dining, relaxing in the historic Yampa Vapor Caves & Glenwood Springs Spas, and thrill-seeking at the world’s only mountain top amusement park, Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.
Glenwood Springs is an excellent place to live, work and raise a family. The temperate climate and healthy lifestyle are only part of the reason locals love it here. Glenwood Springs is a safe and friendly community with great schools (both public and private and including a 4-year college); an active arts scene including community concerts, holiday celebrations and summer festivals; a modern community center which includes a library, fitness center, and leisure and social activities; many churches and places of worship for people all faiths; world-class medical facilities; a walkable downtown, and more. All of these contribute to the quality of life in Glenwood Springs.
To explore and learn more go to: https://cogs.us.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
The City Manager shall:
• Be responsible to the Council for the efficient administration of all affairs of the City placed in their charge, and to that end shall have the power and duty to enforce laws and ordinances.
• Appoint, subject to the provisions of the Charter, all the officers and employees of the City, except where the Charter expressly provides otherwise.
• Prepare a proposed budget annually and submit it to the Council and be responsible for the administration of the budget after its adoption.
• Make written or verbal reports at any time concerning the affairs of the City under his/her supervision.
• Keep the Council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the City and make such recommendations to the Council as he/she may deem necessary or expedient.
• Exercise supervision and control over all executive and administrative departments and recommend to the Council any proposal he/she thinks advisable to establish, consolidate or abolish administrative departments.
• Be responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a system of accounts of the City which shall conform to any uniform system required by the Council and to generally accepted principals and procedures of governmental accounting.
• Be responsible for City purchases and for engineering, architectural and maintenance, construction and equipment services required by the City.
SKILLS, ABILITIES & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will be:
• A proven, successful and flexible leader who is a visionary, an excellent communicator and politically savvy.
• A leader who can inspire, lead, manage and retain an excellent City staff.
• A decision-maker who has the strength and ability to say “no” when appropriate.
• A professional with a strong financial background and working knowledge of public finance and budgeting.
• A successful grant writer with a solid working knowledge of the grant writing process, and a track record of successfully securing grant funding.
• Knowledgeable about and familiar with sustainable strategies.
• A strong ambassador for the community. One who enthusiastically engages with the community and stakeholders, communicates openly and honestly and is open to new ideas.
CHALLENGES FACING THE NEW CITY MANAGER
• Affordable housing for residents and city employees. (70% of City employees live outside the city limits.)
• Economic development and diversification.
• Balancing the needs and desires of Council and a multi-cultural community with respect to topical issues including housing, child care, growth, transportation, green energy initiatives, etc.
• Tax issues (e.g., the November 2022 ballot will have an issue related to an increase in the lodging tax. The City is currently seeking community input.)
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
• A housing allowance and moving expenses are negotiable with the selected candidate.
Other benefits offered Include:
• Medical, Dental & Vision
• Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Life Insurance
• Disability Coverage
• Accident Insurance (Voluntary)
• Supplemental Life Insurance (Voluntary)
• Retirement Plan Options to include a 401(k) and a voluntary 457(b)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Paid Holidays
• Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
• Education Assistance
• Community Center Membership
• Wellness Program
• Other miscellaneous benefits to include Transportation Passes, Guaranteed Ride Home and discretionary Longevity Pay.