To view a recruitment brochure for the Deputy Director of Building and Equipment Services position please visit:
For consideration please apply as soon as possible by sending your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
The Building & Equipment Services Department
The Building and Equipment Services Department is committed to providing professional facilities and fleet management services to all City departments by maintaining a high level of integrity and commitment and by incorporating high safety standards and quality services. The department has a total of 200 staff positions composed of administrative and fiscal services support staff, building trades, custodians, and vehicle and equipment technicians. BES is functionally divided among three divisions: Facility Management, Fleet Services and Fiscal Management.
The Deputy Director of the Building & Equipment Services Department is responsible for assisting the Director in planning, directing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Building & Equipment Services Department's Facilities Management Division and will manage and coordinate the maintenance, repair and operations of City buildings and facilities. The Deputy Director will coordinate closely with other City departments and outside agencies while providing highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Manager's Office. They will exercise direct supervision over assigned staff.
Job Functions & Responsibilities
• Controls the overall cost of managing and supervising building maintenance repairs and custodial care for City buildings and facilities.
• Assumes full management responsibility for services and activities of the Facility Management Division and recommends and administers policies and procedures.
• Provides technical expertise for the management and operation of buildings and complex facilities.
• Prepares and manages preventative and scheduled maintenance plans, facilities utilization analyses, inventory, and day-to-day maintenance and repair efforts.
• Assist in managing the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; and allocates resources accordingly.
• Develops workflows for the various processes necessary to manage existing assets by tracking inventory, managing expenses and monitoring the efficient delivery of asset administrative functions.
• Plans and directs the coordination of human resources activities to ensure the department's policies and procedures are consistent with the City organization.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates, through subordinate-level staff, the department work plan; meets with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; and reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
• Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures. Assesses and monitors workload and scheduling, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships. Identifies opportunities for improvement and assists in directing the implementation of changes.
• Serves as department representative to other City departments, City Manager's Office, elected officials and outside agencies. Explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities and negotiates, resolves, and responds to sensitive, significant, and controversial inquiries and issues.
• Manages and participates in the development and administration of the department budget. Estimates funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies, and assists in directing the monitoring and approval of expenditures. Directs the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
Education & Experience
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Facilities Management, or a related field from an accredited college or university. A degree in engineering is preferred. They will also have nine (9) years of progressively responsible experience in facility engineering design, construction and repair, and maintenance and operations, including four (4) years of administrative or supervisory responsibility. A Master's Degree in a related field along with eight (8) years of professional experience in facilities maintenance and operations and ten (10) years of experience in facility engineering design, construction, and repair is preferred.
The most highly qualified candidates for consideration will be selected based on a combination of education, career experience, and accomplishments that best fits the needs of the City of San Antonio.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate must have an extensive knowledge of operational characteristics, services, and activities of comprehensive facilities management operations and must be a strong multi-tasker with the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively in order to determine proper course of action or alternatives. An ideal candidate will have substantial experience in facilities management and facility engineering.
Ideal candidates must also possess strong leadership characteristics who will need to engage, inspire, and mentor assigned staff and other City employees. The ability to communicate messages and presentations skillfully and effectively to the stakeholders, elected officials, employees and staff, and other stakeholders in a clear and concise manner is critical to be successful in this position.
The salary range for the position is $117,207.48 - $187,532.02. The City of San Antonio is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The City offers generous benefits and retirement including annual and personal leave, monthly car allowance, deferred compensation plans, relocation/moving expenses and participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS).
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send cover letter, resume, references and salary requirements to:
This position is open until filled. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure you are considered for this position. Upon receipt, resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by the City of San Antonio’s Executive Recruiter.
For additional information please contact:
Jeff Baldwin, Executive Recruiter
City of San Antonio
Human Resources Department
Phone: (210) 207-7939
Please note: Under the Texas Public Information Act, information from your resume may be subject to public disclosure.
The City of San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.