The City of Dallas is seeking qualified candidates for an Assistant Director in Budget and Management Services (BMS). Reporting directly to the BMS Director, this individual will oversee the Continuous Improvement, Strategic Planning, and Performance Measurement division of the department and assist with cost-savings initiatives, performance planning, strategic planning, policy and procedure recommendations, and overall management of day-to-day operations.
This individual will work closely with the Director, Chief Financial Officer, and City Management in developing a citywide comprehensive strategic plan, cost saving and efficiency strategies to be implemented throughout the City, and effectively communicating the City’s budgetary and strategic direction to a diverse audience. The Assistant Director will recommend innovative performance and service delivery strategies for the City and will work closely with executive leadership throughout the City to enhance overall City performance.
• Responsible for development of a citywide comprehensive strategic plan, including incorporation of existing strategic plans throughout the City.
• Monitor, evaluate, and report on the progress of citywide strategic initiatives.
• Enhance the City’s performance measurement program to ensure meaningful data is captured to inform budget allocations and strategic improvements.
• Responsible for citywide process improvement projects and subsequent implementation activities.
• Develop communications that effectively convey the City’s budgetary, performance, and strategic priorities and activities to a diverse audience including, but not limited to, the media, the public and internal and external stakeholders.
• Review budget allocation, employee assignments, objectives, and performance of subordinate managers and supervisors. Recommends changes to Director and makes reassignments of resources.
• Monitor progress of service delivery elements through procedures and strategies to accomplish timely and effective utilization of available services.
• Manage and coordinate special research requests and coordinates responses to the City Manager or City Council to provide accurate and timely results.
• Identifies areas of quality management to enhance productivity through improved work procedures and practices, improved communication, and accountability.
• Represents the City at local, state, and national organizations and at professional activities to maintain the image of the City and to create public support for departmental programs.
• Supervises through subordinate staff the hiring, training, performance evaluations and other HR actions to ensure productivity and quality standards are maintained.
• Works on special projects at the direction of the Director of the Office of Budget.
• Maintains regular, reliable, and punctual attendance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to Perform Work:
• Knowledge of strategic planning and best practices.
• Knowledge of lean six sigma or other business process improvement methodologies.
• Knowledge of local government performance planning and best practices.
• Thorough knowledge of business principles, practices and techniques used in department management.
• Knowledge of principles of personnel management and ability to plan, direct, and coordinate the work of others through subordinates.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Ability to work with a diversified group of individuals.
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of city management, city officials, vendors, contractors, promoters, media, community business organizations, various associations and the general public.
• May require knowledge of marketing and contracting regulations for municipal governments, and the ability to negotiate contracts.
• Knowledge of operations of local government.
• Operate with a high level of discretion, ethics, and integrity as well as possess excellent judgment
• Strong analytical skills, attentive to details, operate with a sense of urgency.
• Demonstrated effective organizational and leadership skills.
• Must be self-motivated, fast-paced, able to work independently and multi-task, capable of completing tasks with tight deadlines.
• Experience in effective public presentation and speaking, and interaction with elected government officials, staff, agencies and neighbors and community groups.
• Strong communication and project management skills. Ability to plan and lead projects that require interfaces with multiple stakeholders and differing levels of management.
• Diplomacy and sensitivity to highly confidential information.
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of city management, city officials, vendors, contractors, media, community business organizations, various associations and the general public.
• Must be able to respond to questions promptly and accurately.
• Must be able to professionally work with various levels of personality traits and maintain self-control.
• Must have integrity and a desire to contribute to the success of the City.
• Must prepare reports and documents in a logical and grammatically correct manner.
Progressive leadership skills used to energize multi-disciplined work teams to respond to business needs; strong analytical, interpersonal skills, problem-solving and conceptual skills, project management skills, with experience in organizing, planning, budgeting and executing large-scale projects from the envisioning stage through implementation, involving internal and external personnel, contractors and vendors. Outstanding oral and written communication skills. Strongly self-motivated.
These minimum qualifications are intended to be generic in nature. It is not intended to determine specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Public Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Government, or similar field
• Eight (8) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in budget development/monitoring, accounting, auditing, or public administration
• Five (5) years of administrative or supervisory responsibility
• Effective Leadership skills
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Intermediate knowledge of the Microsoft products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Or Equivalent combination of education and experience
• Municipal government experience in a similar position
Working Conditions and Hazards:
Work performed under normal office conditions and at times non-office conditions while serving communities.