Professional development is one of those things we all know we should be doing more of but with working full-time and keeping personal commitments, it often falls through the cracks. However, professional development experiences can be a huge benefit to you personally, professionally, and to your local government as a whole. By participating in these learning opportunities, you can discover the newest and most innovative best practices across the local government field. You can also get career advice to help you take your local government career to the next level. By participating in life long local government learning you can make sure you are staying current in today’s fast paced world.
So this summer I am challenging YOU to complete at least one professional development activity or learning experience. Lucky for you, ICMA has a lot to offer in this area from documents where you can learn about the latest trends, webinars where you can get first-hand information from industry leaders, to workshops and of course the 100th ICMA Annual Conference.
Check out all the professional development opportunities ICMA has to offer and sign up for one today!
- On the Professional Development page you will find links to the credentialing program, next generation initiatives, regional summits and much more!
- Did you know you can bring ICMA University to your local government? If you are interested in professional development activities for your whole local government this is a great option.
- If you are a mid-career manager then ICMA has a special professional development opportunity for you. The Mid-Career Managers Institute, an 18 month program that address the unique needs of mid-career professionals.
- There is also a special program for young local government professionals who are just starting out and want to gain a competitive edge. The Emerging Leaders Development Program, in this two year program you will learn earn a special certificate, have monthly teleconferences with credentialed managers, and have your own career coach.
- If you aren’t looking for an entire professional development program then check out ICMA’s webinars. There is a list of webinars that are happening in the future, past webinars available for viewing, and even a few free webinars!
- Professional development resources are being added continuously so check out the Professional and Personal Development and the Professional Development topic pages for the latest professional development information on the Knowledge Network.
ICMA Knowledge Network Intern