One of my first experiences working in local government was as an intern for a regional downtown revitalization organization. During this stint I learned how a vibrant downtown not only provides economic benefits for local government but also supports local culture, health, and attitudes. In this blog post I identify five of my favorite Knowledge Network resources on creating vibrant downtowns.
- This blog post from 2011 provides a great overview of the top elements that make downtowns successful.
- As an intern I learned that successful downtowns reflect their community’s identity. This free guide from the Orton Family Foundation outlines a four-phase method to empower residents to shape the future and unique character of their communities.
- This case study from Austin, Minnesota, shows how partnerships are essential to downtown revitalization success.
- The cover story from the March 2015 issue of PM Magazine outlines 10 strategies to ensure downtown vibrancy.
- This case study describes 30 years of downtown revitalization in Greenville, South Carolina. The document outlines the achievements made during this time.
How does your community promote downtown revitalization? Share your stories below.
Knowledge Network Intern