In this Issue:
MEMBER NEWS, REGIONAL CONFERENCES, 2019 ICMA COACHING SERIES - FREE WEBINARS, STATE AND AFFILIATE MEETINGS
2019 ICMA Call for Volunteers is Now Open!
Looking for a way to serve the profession and connect with other ICMA members? ICMA invites all members to share their knowledge, skills, and expertise by serving on a member task force, advisory board or committee in 2019. To express your interest in serving, login to your ICMA Member Profile, find the “My Volunteer Opportunities” link in your profile, and submit your selection(s) by April 12. If you have any questions, please contact Member Benefits & Services.
Celebrate Women's History Month and Highlight Her Story #SheLeadsGov
As the number of women in local government increases, ICMA looks to celebrate stories of women in the profession during Women's History Month. By celebrating women in local government who have made a difference in their communities, we can inspire the next generation of female public servants. ICMA members are encouraged to submit stories around the following themes:
- Making a positive difference in your community.
- Overcoming an obstacle to success.
- Supporting other women in the profession.
- Celebrating professional achievements.
Submit your story by March 31 to be featured on our map!
Nominate a Peer for Honorary Membership!
Honorary membership in ICMA is awarded to an individual outside of the profession of local government because of his or her distinguished public service and contributions to the improvement and strengthening of the profession. A nomination can be made by any voting member of ICMA, and we encourage you to take a moment to identify a peer that has made a considerable contribution either to the improvement of local government and local government management, or to the public's knowledge and appreciation of well-managed local government.
Recipients receive a complimentary lifetime ICMA membership and will be recognized during ICMA’s 105th Annual Conference in Nashville, Tennessee from October 20-23, 2019. Check out the 2018 Honorary Member Alan Bojorquez.
The deadline to submit nominations is April 22, 2019.
Does Your Personal Professional Development Plan Include an International Component? Consider the Tranter-Leong Fellowship
ICMA offers the Tranter-Leong Fellowship, which gives members the opportunity to expand their international horizons while advancing ICMA’s commitment to “think globally, act locally.” Check the website for more information about the fellowship and the requirements to apply. Applications to applyare now open and will close on April 30, 2019.
2019 ICMA Regional Conferences Focus on Innovation and Technology
In 2019, communities around the world will be challenged to keep up and more importantly keep ahead of the dramatic changes technology presents. At this year’s Regional Conferences, through 10+ interactive breakout sessions and workshops, we evaluate the positives and negatives of these fast-changing technologies to ensure public safety, access, and improved quality of life. Join us to build the local government leader’s playbook on innovation!
2019 Regional Conference dates and locations:
- West Coast Regional Conference | Reno, NV | March 20-22
- Mountain Plains Regional Conference | Omaha, NE | March 27-29
- Northeast Regional Conference | New Brunswick, NJ | April 3-5
- Midwest Regional Conference | Evanston, IL | May 8-10
ICMA Coaching Series
The 2019 series of six, 90-minute webinars will provide practical tools for effective coaching, mentoring, and problem solving.
Sign up your entire team! Details and registration information online.
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2:00-3:30 PM Eastern
Date: Thursday, May 16, 1:00-2:30 PM Eastern
Date: Wednesday, June 12, 12:30-2:00 PM Eastern
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 1:00-2:30 PM Eastern
Date: Thursday, October 10, 2:00-3:30 PM Eastern
Date: Thursday, November 14, 12:30-2:00 PM Eastern
Iowa City/County Management Association, Iowa Municipal Management Institute, March 20-22, Iowa City
ICMA regional vice president Pat Klein will attend and provide an ICMA update. ICMA Midwest regional director Cheryl Hilvert will also attend. ICMA director of Member Services and Ethics Martha Perego will attend and moderate a session on Ethical Challenges: What Every Manager Needs to Know. Additional sessions include:
- Hope Inspires Action: Leading Positive Community Change
- A Penny for Your Thoughts: A Quick Overview of County and Township Budgets
- Stop Ignoring the Problem: Technology Concerns That Should be Keeping You Up at Night
Georgia City-County Management Association, Spring Conference, March 20-22, Athens
ICMA regional vice president Ed Driggers will attend and provide an ICMA update. ICMA Southeast regional director Randall Reid will also attend. Sessions include:
- The Impacts of the Movie and Television Industry on Local Governments in Georgia
- Is it Time to Go, or Just Change Your View: A Tale of Four Managers
- Lead and Asbestos Regulations Affecting Local Government Projects
Municipal Management Association of Southern California, Winter Forum, March 21, Diamond Bar
- Taking Control of Your Workday
- Beyond Smart - How Values Based Goal Setting Can Help You Achieve Your Dreams
Maine Town, City and County Management Association, 40th Annual Statewide Manager Interchange, March 22, Bangor
ICMA Northeast regional director Patricia Vinchesi will attend and provide an ICMA Update. Sessions include:
- Public Comment at Public Meetings: Understanding the Role of the First Amendment and Gaining Practical Skills for Responding to Challenging Comments
- Leadership and Life on the Podium
CALENDAR AND DEADLINES
- April 1: ICMA Voluntary Credentialing Program Application deadline
- April 3-5: Tennessee City Management Association (TCMA), Spring Conference, Knoxville
- April 10-11: South Dakota City Management Association (SDCMA), Spring Training Conference, Pierre
- April 12: Illinois Association of Municipal Management Assistants (IAMMA),Annual Conference, Naperville
- April 12: ICMA Call for Volunteers deadline
- April 22-24: Utah City/County Management Association (UCMA), Spring Conference, St. George
- April 22: Distinguished Service Award and Honorary Membership nomination deadline
- April 30: Tranter-Leong Fellowship application deadline