In this Issue:
- NEW AND IMPROVED WHO'S WHO ONLINE
- REGISTER FOR THE 2018 ICMA REGIONAL CONFERENCES
- STATE AND AFFILIATE ASSOCIATION MEETINGS UPDATE
- MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
- CALENDAR AND DEADLINES
New and Improved Who’s Who Online
You may have seen some buzz about a new version of our online directory, Who's Who. There are now two ways to search, Basic and Advanced. Basic is great if you know exactly who you are looking for. The Advanced search helps when you are unsure of a name or jurisdiction. It’s a change which will result in improved results and a better user experience. Please take a minute to update your profile, add your photo, and encourage others to do the same.
STATE AND AFFILIATE ASSOCIATION MEETINGS UPDATE
Wisconsin City Management Association, Winter Conference, February 28 - March 3, Eau Claire
ICMA Midwest Regional Vice President Wally Bobkiewicz will provide an ICMA Update. Sessions include:
- Emerging Leader Session—Public Safety Labor Relations 101
- Ethical Issues in Local Government by Michael Gillette
- Taking a Stand Against “Bad” Properties
- Economic Development in Small Towns
MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP
REGISTER FOR THE 2018 ICMA REGIONAL CONFERENCES
2018 ICMA Regional Conferences: New Format and Expanded Content
The 2018 Regional Conference program (formerly known as Regional Summits) is expanded to two days full of NEW educational breakout sessions, hands-on lessons, and networking opportunities that offer local government professionals of all career stages the leadership essentials needed to succeed. Sign up early so you don’t miss out on this valuable learning experience. Register online to attend any conference and make your hotel reservations early!
Dates and Locations:
- Midwest | Columbus, Ohio | March 7-9 | Held in conjunction with the Ohio City/County Management Association (OCMA) Winter Conference
- Northeast | Hershey, Pennsylvania | March 21-23
- Mountain Plains | Arvada, Colorado | April 11-13
- Southeast | Mountain Brook, Alabama | April 25-27
- West Coast | Stevenson, Washington | May 2-4 | Held in conjunction with the Northwest Managers Conference (West Coast registration will open later this week)
Cool New Toolkit for First-Time Elected Leaders
Here’s something to share with members who are eager to build relationships with first-time elected officials—the Newly Elected Leaders Toolkit. We’ve gathered resources from ICMA’s library that include an excerpt from Leading Your Community. The toolkit features information on running public meetings, engaging residents, and lots of material on establishing and strengthening a strong relationship with the CAO. The online version breaks out the content so sections can be reviewed separately or you can download the entire 190-page toolkit.
Distinguished Service Award and Honorary Membership Nominations Due by April 23
ICMA's Distinguished Service Award is presented to a member who has been retired from the profession for a minimum of two years and who has made exemplary contributions to the profession through service in local government. The Honorary Member Award is presented to an individual outside of the profession, whose leadership and initiative have contributed to the strengthening of local government. Further details on both the Distinguished Service Award and on Honorary Membership are available on the ICMA website. ICMA members should direct nominations and questions to Felicia Littky at 202-962-3656 or email@example.com.
Ask A Manager!
Have a topic you want us to discuss in the ICMA Blog or want to contribute to the ICMA Blog? Then check out this article about our latest blog feature called Ask a Manager.
March 2 Deadline: ICMA Local Government Excellence Awards Nominations Due
ICMA’s Local Governance Excellence Awards celebrate the value of professional management and honor creative contributions to professional local government leadership. Award recipients will be honored during ICMA’s 104th Annual Conference, September 23-26, 2018, in Baltimore, Maryland.
CALENDAR AND DEADLINES
- February 14-16: Virginia Local Government Management Association, Winter Conference, Charlottesville
- February 15-16: Florida City and county Management Association (FCCMA), Winter Institute, Tampa
- February 15-16: Association for Pennsylvania Municipal Management (APMM), Executive Development Conference, Bedford
- February 28: Municipal Management Association of Southern California (MMASC), Winter Forum, Long Beach
- February 28: Call for Speakers: Local Government Hispanic Network 2018 Biennial Conference