In this Issue:
2018 ANNUAL CONFERENCE UPDATES
Equity and Inclusivity at the ICMA Annual Conference
ICMA members are committed to developing engaged and effective staff to build successful, thriving communities. It is incumbent on local governments to assure that staff and service providers are well-trained in recognizing the value of diversity and inclusion and supporting all members in their communities. At the Annual Conference this year, you will find dozens of sessions, keynotes, round tables, and workshops focusing on and dealing with issues of equity and inclusivity. Speakers will discuss ways to integrate public service and social justice, make the business case for meeting the needs of all the residents, and provide practical examples on how to achieve this. Check out all the offerings on the website.
1-1 Coaching in the Member Pavilion at the ICMA Annual Conference
Sign up today for an extended personal coaching session in the member pavilion. ICMA Coaching Program coaches will be available on Monday and Tuesday for 25-minute coaching sessions. You must sign up in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and the reason you are seeking coaching, so we can match you with the right coach. Topics could include resume review, job transition, positioning for promotion, or situations you are dealing with at work.
Let Your Nonmember Colleagues Know Now’s the Time to Join ICMA!
Join, Go and Save! Nonmembers can save 50% off first-year membership dues and attend the conference at the member rate (including any discounts for which they may be eligible). Tell nonmembers about this special membership+conference registration offer! Get the details!
LGHN Annual Dinner at the ICMA Conference
If you will be in Baltimore for the ICMA Conference, plan to join the Local Government Hispanic Network for the Annual Dinner. The dinner will be Sunday, September 23 at the Lord Baltimore Hotel, within walking distance of the convention center. A reception will begin at 6:30 PM. followed by dinner at 7:15 PM. The cost is $75 per person. Seating is limited! Please visit the website to register.
MEMBER NEWS AND STATE & AFFILIATE ASSOCIATION MEETINGS
2018 Local Government Service Award Recipients Announced
Congratulations to all of ICMA’s Local Government Service Award recipients for 2018! You can view the final list here, but if you’re attending the Annual Conference in Baltimore, join us in recognizing these dedicated public servants at the Celebration of Service on Wednesday, September 26, from 9-11:00 AM. Congratulate your colleagues on social media, include #serviceawards.
More from ICMA
- Download the revised Code of Ethics
- Member Spotlight: Alex Henderson, ICMA-CM, City Manager, Kingsburg, CA
- 2018 Local Government Review Available Online
- ICMA Podcasts: The Rewards of Adopting the Council-Manager Form of Government: Robert Fortner, community stakeholder and activist; There Is Nothing More Rewarding Than Public Service, Bertha Henry, county administrator, Broward County, FL
- Visit the ICMA Marketplace for all your procurement needs.
Women Leading Government, Florida Forum, August 17, Tampa
Join your colleagues for a day-long professional development workshop on advancing women in the local government profession. Participants will gain skills and get tools to advocate for themselves and each other, within the profession, and leave with a greater insight into overcoming the bias and barriers women are facing at work.
Washington City Management Association, Conference, August 14-17, Winthrop
ICMA West Coast regional vice president Martha Bennett and regional director Kevin Duggan will attend. Sessions include:
- How Not to Get Fired by Your Dept Heads
- Axioms and Social Media: How to Upgrade Your Social Media Strategy
- Voting Rights Act What You Need to Know
- Alternative Delivery Strategies for Public Contracts
City Management Association of Delaware, Luncheon, August 16, Milford
ICMA Northeast regional director Patricia Vinchesi will attend
CALENDAR AND DEADLINES
- August 23: 2nd Registration Deadline: ICMA Annual Conference
- August 31: Application Deadline: Emerging Leaders Development Program
- September 19: Free Coaching Webinar: Recognize and Eliminate Bias: Keys to Being a Better Leader and Team Player