The City of Orangeburg, South Carolina, the “The Garden City” operates under a Council-Manager form of government and is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) who can ensure sound financial practices and effective leadership. The CFO is responsible for guiding debt, investment management, and providing outstanding customer service to the public and operating departments. This is not simply a job, or a career move but a calling for someone who is passionate about public finance and the difference successful and innovative financial leadership can make in a community.
About the Organization: The City of Orangeburg operates under a Council-Manager form of government. The City employs approximately 200 employees across 9 departments and has a total budget of $26M. The City is self-insured for health, dental, and vision insurance. The CFO, who reports to the City Administrator and interfaces frequently with the City Council, oversees a sophisticated and complex municipal finance department with bonded debt of $40M.
About the Position and Department: The CFO leads a department that manages financial reporting, payroll, purchasing, revenue, and risk management with a staff of approximately 7 employees. To learn more about the department, click here.
Key priorities for the next CFO are:
• evaluating the Finance Department and making recommendations to the City Administrator on structure and staffing;
• proactively managing cash balances and planning for requirements in response to COVID 19 impacts on revenue;
• issuing and managing debt on current capital projects;
• coordinating the annual budget with the City Administrator; and,
• proactively working to maintain and enhance bond ratings.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field is required, a master’s degree in Finance-related field highly preferred.
• 7-10 years of progressive experience in financial administration including 3-5 years of supervisory experience is required.
• Local government experience is required.
• CPA and GFOA Certification are highly preferred but not required.
Salary range and Application Process: The hiring range is up to $115,00 with starting salary based on credentials and experience. Information about benefits can be found on the City’s website. There is a residency preference for this position.
To apply, go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/developmentalassociates and click on the Chief Financial Officer - Orangeburg, SC link. To learn more about the selection process, visit https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/, select “Client Openings” and scroll down to “Important Information for Applicants.” All applications must be submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the City portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume but resumes and cover letters should be uploaded through the portal. The position is open until filled. Interviews with the Leadership team will follow after applicant screening. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Orangeburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The recruitment and selection processes are being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.