ICMA’s Local Government Excellence Awards Program celebrates the value of professional management and honors creative contributions to professional local government leadership. The awards highlight public awareness of the value of professional management and its impact on the quality of life in our communities.
Awards are conferred in the areas of Professional Awards and Program Excellence.
Five Professional Awards, recognizing individual achievement, are open for nomination:
- Award for Career Excellence in Memory of Mark E. Keane
- Award for Career Development in Memory of L. P. Cookingham
- Assistant Excellence in Leadership Award in Memory of Buford M. Watson Jr.
- Academic Award in Memory of Stephen B. Sweeney
- Early Career Leadership Award in Memory of William H. Hansell Jr.
Five Program Excellence Awards, recognizing local governments and their chief administrators for innovative and successful programs, are also open for nomination:
- Community Health and Safety
- Community Partnership
- Community Sustainability
- Community Diversity and Inclusion (NEW in 2018!)
- Strategic Leadership and Governance
The awards program honors all ICMA member communities; nominations from international members are strongly encouraged! If you know of someone deserving of a Professional Award or know of an innovative program in your community, be sure to submit a nomination before the deadline of March 2.
Complete information on the award categories, the nominations process, and the online nomination forms can be found on the awards page of the ICMA website. To use the online nomination system, you must be logged into your ICMA account. Follow the instructions, being sure to include all necessary documents at the time of submission.
Award recipients will be notified in June. recipients will be recognized during ICMA’s 104th annual conference in September in Baltimore, Maryland, and will be featured in a fall issue of PM magazine.
Questions? Contact Felicia Littky, awards program manager at email@example.com or 202-962-3656.