One of the greatest segments of society is the group of people who have gone forth in service of our nation’s government to fight for the rights that we enjoy. For all that they have done, veterans deserve our thanks at the very least. As engaged members of local governments around the world, it is our duty to show that they are appreciated by their communities. Throughout the Knowledge Network, you can find wonderful examples of ways to engage with veterans:
- Our Military Veterans group serves as a central location for all discussions related to veterans.
- Unsure who the veterans around you are? Read “The Role of Local Government in Veterans and Military Family Issues” to find out about today’s veterans.
- Learn about modern veterans by reading the National Academy of Sciences’ case study “Returning Home from Iraq and Afghanistan: Assessment of Readjustment Needs of Veterans, Service Members, and Their Families”
- Steven Vinezeano, village manager of Niles, Illinois, posted some valuable insights for those looking to offer jobs to veterans.
- Knowledge Network published a great blog post about reintegrating veterans who may be falling away from society.
- In some recent questions, ICMA members have coordinated to provide services for veterans and counseled veterans on the management career.
- Find discussions on some of the more general concerns of veterans on the Aging, Volunteers, and Citizen Engagement topic pages.