ICMA has identified priority based budgeting as a leading practice for local governments and is partnering with the Center for Priority Based Budgeting, the mission for which is to share experience and technical knowledge of government financial operations and budget development with organizations that are seeking to achieve sustainable fiscal health and wellness.
Through this leading practice relationship, ICMA and the Center for Priority Based Budgeting offer the professional expertise, analytical skills, and diagnostic tools needed to help your city, county, school disstrict, special district or non-profit organization become efficient and effective in its financial strategies and resulting service delivery.
In the more than 70 local governments in which the Center for Priority Based Budgeting has provided advisory leadership in the implementation of Fiscal Health and Wellness through Priority Based Budgeting, we have seen that this process not only provides a mechanism through which an organization can make better short-term resource allocation decisions based on the relative priority of the various programs and services, but also provides a new way to link budget decisions to the strategic results and outcomes that the organization wishes to achieve for the long term. Additionally, CPBB's Resource Alignment Diagnostic Tool provides a "new and unique lens" through which an organization can align its spending with its commuinty priorities.
The Center can provide the tools and techniques you need to assess and monitor your organization’s “picture of fiscal health,” assist your organization in clearly defining goals and objectives, then lead it in a process that prioritizes spending to align with those goals. The Center’s objectives are to help you:
- Diagnose the root cause of your fiscal needs and challenges
- Identify effective options to enhance your financial strategies
- Engage the community in determining what it highly values and expects
- Establish clearly defined goals for your organization
- Prioritize resource allocation to your most valuable programs and services
- Provide decision makers with better information about the impacts of their decisions
- Develop the tools you need to see things more clearly through a "new lens" through its proven “Fiscal Health Diagnostic Tool” and “Resource Alignment Diagnostic Tool.
To view case studies, blogs, & articles produced by the Center for Priority Based Budgeting, please click here!
The Center for Priority Based Budgeting offers several types of services to meet the specific needs of your organization as it addresses its short-term and long-term fiscal strategies. These flexible and attainable approaches can be tailored to work with any level of engagement your organization is ready to undertake to help reach a stable and sustainable level of fiscal health and wellness.