ICMA identifies mid-career as those who hold leadership positions in their organizations, military, public/private sector, academies; and managers/assistants/department heads not ready to be credentialed but looking for their next challenge. The Institute also provides a focused educational experience for members already credentialed.
We are now accepting applications for the May 2019 cohort. Application deadline March 29.
Fee: $1,795 for members and nonmembers; includes:
- Admission to both the Regional Conference (with workshop) and the ICMA Annual Conference.
- Admission to the Annual Leadership Institute Session, held in conjunction with the ICMA Annual Conference.
- Four mini-courses, occurring throughout the duration of the Institute.
- Credentialed manager to serve as his or her coach.
- Completion of a Management Application Project ensures participant receives 6-months credit towards the Credentialing Program experience requirements
Program Contact: Nedra James, Program Manager, Professional Development at email@example.com.
What You Can Expect
The Institute is designed to enhance and develop participants’ leadership abilities and effectiveness. This is accomplished by providing:
- Broader understanding of their responsibilities as leaders;
- Perspective on some of the critical leadership and management issues facing mid-career managers; and
- Understanding and awareness of concepts and techniques relevant to local government management.
Completion of the Institute will count as six-months of executive experience credit towards becoming a Credentialed Manager. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.
Who is Right for the Program
If you apply to any or all of the following, the Mid-Career Managers Institute is the perfect program for you!
- Are you a mid-career professional or do you know someone who is?
- Are you new to local government but not new to management?
- Are you an experienced local government department head looking to make the jump to the manager's seat?
- Are you ready to connect with other mid-career professionals to identify and develop signature leadership practices and strengthen core management skills?
- Are you looking for your next challenge?
Program of Events
- Participants will attend their Regional Conference in the spring . Regional Conferences include an ICMA University workshop, where program participants gather with other attendees.
- Participants will attend the ICMA Annual Conference in the Fall.
- Participants will attend the Annual Leadership Institute Session, held in conjunction with the Annual Conference.
- Four mini-courses, taught via conference call, will occur throughout the duration of the program.
- Participants will be assigned a credentialed manager to serve as his/her coach.
- In recognition of the professional-development commitment and contribution to the profession by graduates of ICMA's Mid-Career Managers Institute, the ICMA Executive Board will award six months of executive-experience credit toward meeting requirements of becoming an ICMA Credentialed Manager upon completion of this program. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.