ICMA identifies mid-career as those who hold leadership positions in their organizations, military, public/private sector, academies; and managers/assistants/department heads not ready to be credentialed but looking for their next challenge. The Institute also provides a focused educational experience for members already credentialed.
We are now accepting applications for the May 2020 cohort. Application deadline March 29.
Fee: $1,795 for members and nonmembers; includes:
- Admission to the ICMA Williamsburg Leadership Institute in Colonial Williamsburg, VA
- Four mini-courses, occurring throughout the duration of the Institute.
- Credentialed manager to serve as his or her coach.
- Completion of a Management Application Project ensures participant receives 6-months credit towards the Credentialing Program experience requirements
Program Contact: Nedra James, Program Manager, Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You Can Expect
The Institute is designed to enhance and develop participants’ leadership abilities and effectiveness. This is accomplished by providing:
- Broader understanding of their responsibilities as leaders;
- Perspective on some of the critical leadership and management issues facing mid-career managers; and
- Understanding and awareness of concepts and techniques relevant to local government management.
Completion of the Institute will count as six-months of executive experience credit towards becoming a Credentialed Manager. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.
Who is Right for the Program
If any or all of the following apply to you, the Mid-Career Managers Institute is the perfect program for you!
- Are you a mid-career professional or do you know someone who is?
- Are you new to local government but not new to management?
- Are you an experienced local government department head looking to make the jump to the manager's seat?
- Are you ready to connect with other mid-career professionals to identify and develop signature leadership practices and strengthen core management skills?
- Are you looking for your next challenge?
Program of Events
- Mid-Career Participants will attend the ICMA Williamsburg Leadership Institute November 5-7, 2020, where program participants gather with senior managers in an intimate setting to engage in a three-days highly interactive leadership study that contrasts the core values of the U.S. Founders (who maintained continuity of purpose during times of civil unrest and social upheaval) with today’s turbulent times.
- Mid-Career Managers Cohort Orientation session in Williamsburg that will include developing an action plan for the MCMI experience. This orientation will take place prior to the start of the ICMA Williamsburg Leadership Institute on November 5, 2020.
- Four mini-courses, taught via conference call, will occur throughout the duration of the program.
- Participants will be assigned a credentialed manager to serve as his/her coach.
- In recognition of the professional-development commitment and contribution to the profession by graduates of ICMA's Mid-Career Managers Institute, the ICMA Executive Board will award six months of executive-experience credit toward meeting requirements of becoming an ICMA Credentialed Manager upon completion of this program. To earn this credit, participants must complete a Management Application Project, supervised by a local government mentor.