Candidates will be selected on the basis of their academic performance, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, initiative, creativity, and positive attitude.
The application has two parts: online, and supplemental materials. Apply using the NEOGOV website.
- Step 1: Job Application (using a governmentjobs.com account), including demographic information, education, work experience, resume, professional references.
- *Included in Step 1: Unofficial graduate and undergraduate transcripts, uploaded directly to the application;
- Step 2: Agency Wide Questions (for any job application through governmentjobs.com)
- Step 3: Supplemental Questions (specific to the LGMF)
- Included in Step 3 is the personal statement and management case study (submitted within the on line application). The case study question is available in the application. Please do not 'make up' your own case study.
- Confirm Application and Certify and Submit
- Three (3) letters of recommendation: two (2) from professors/program directors, and one professional recommendation; sealed and signed across the envelope seal by the recommendation writer.
NOTE: Send the letters of recommendation in ONE (1) envelope to ICMA postmarked by Wednesday, December 13.
*If you are selected as a finalist, we will request official transcripts at that time.
Mail your letters of recommendation to:
Attn: LGMF PROGRAM
777 North Capitol Street, NE, Suite 500
Washington, D.C. 20002-4201
As the application is Web-based, it is strongly recommended that you prepare your essay and case study outside the LGMF application and save your work frequently. When you have completed your essay questions, copy/paste them into the application tool as unformatted text. Keep your formatting simple, as it will not carry over to this application or may add strange characters.
Case Study: You may attach one (1) page with graphs, tables or charts to accompany your case study if you wish; reference this and clearly identify your document and be sure your name is also on the attachment.
Application: You may attach a formatted resume, and will have the option in the first part of the application. Any attachments that were not officially requested will not be included in your final application package (such as copies of certificates or honors).
The LGMF Advisory Board will review all applications submitted by the deadline. ICMA will notify all applicants if they have been selected as a finalist once the Advisory Board submits results. Applications will be scored on resume/applicant experience, letters of recommendation, transcripts, personal statement, and management case study.
Seventy percent (70%) of the total score is based on the personal essay and case study; your demonstrated passion and subject knowledge.
Finalists' applications will be routed directly to host local governments for review. Local governments will contact finalists directly to schedule interviews. If you are contacted by a local government, it is strongly recommended that you prepare for the interview as you would for any other employment opportunity.