- Job Function: Parks and Recreation Director; Public Works Director
- Salary: $68,820 - $84,045. DOQ
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 10,360
- Where: 360 Village Square Lane, Castle Pines, CO 80108
- Form of Government: Mayor-Council
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 8 2019
Updated: January 15, 2019
Job Title: Public Works Engineer & Operations Manager
Hiring Range - $68,820-$84,045
Reports To: City Manager
This position is responsible for performing planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities, projects and operations related to Public Works including engineering services and inspections, street maintenance and construction and contract administration. This position also coordinates assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies and provides highly responsible and administrative support to the City Manager’s office. The Manager is responsible for the operation of City-owned Parks and Open Space.
Supervisory Responsibility: This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Public Works:
1. Manages and oversees the City’s use of consultants for municipal projects including construction and maintenance of City streets and rights-of-way, snow and ice removal, street sweeping, lane striping, sidewalk replacement, curb and gutter repair and replacement, asphalt patching, and concrete panel repair.
2. Provides detailed technical evaluation and civil engineering expertise for development projects or programs impacting the City. Makes decisions as allowed or required by City code or as applied through conditions of permit approval.
3. Establish appropriate service and contractor staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; and allocate resources accordingly.
4. Represent Public Works to other City depart¬ments, elected officials and outside agencies. Attend various meeting and represent the City of Castle Pines as requested by the City Manager.
5. Oversee and participate in the development and administration of Public Works budget; forecast funds needed for equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjust¬ments as appropriate and necessary.
6. Develop and evaluate programs and policies for implementation of Departmental and City needs and goals.
7. Assess and monitor the City’s infrastructure to provide adequate levels of public service both for existing infrastructure and proposed extensions or reconstruction of City infrastructure.
8. Review right- of-way permits and issue permits and calculate fees.
9. Manage the MS4 Storm Water Permit. Work with contractors to manage MS4 Storm Water Permit. Coordinate Storm Water maintenance and construction activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Parks and Open Space:
1. Responsible for the operation of Elk Ridge Park. This includes managing all subcontractors assigned to maintain the park and surrounding area. Proactively recommend maintenance activities and follow through to ensure recommended maintenance has occurred.
2. Manage native open space and oversee erosion control in and around City of Castle Pines.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide staff support to the City Manager; prepare and present staff reports at regular and special meeting of City Council (as assigned).
3. Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public works administration.
4. Respond to and resolve citizen inquiries and complaints.
6. Provide general customer service (phone calls, emails, walk-in customers).
7. Prepares reports, analyses, and recommendations for Public Works projects.
8. Ensures that street and City’s Storm Water system are operated in compliance with City, State and Federal laws.
9. Investigates and responds to complaints by the public regarding conditions of streets, storm drainage, parks and building maintenance.
10. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a closely related field.
• 2 years of increasingly responsible civil engineering experience.
• Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License.
• Must be registered as professional civil engineer in Colorado or have the ability to obtain said licensure within six months of employment.
• Good knowledge of and experience with municipal government operations, including: public hearings, special assessment process, bid letting, etc.
• High degree of professionalism in appearance and conduct, including strong interpersonal skills and the ability to consider and respond to differing viewpoints in a professional manner, utilizing negotiation and positive communication methods.
• Good management skills including the ability to plan, organize, and coordinate diverse activities, supervisory ability, and department level budgeting experience.
• Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to engage effectively with the public and make presentations to various groups.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this position successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, balance, stoop, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, walk, carry, and push and pull. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to extreme temperatures, including extreme heat and extreme cold. The noise level in the employee’s environment is occasionally loud. This position requires frequent interaction with other employees and members of the public.
Note: A criminal record check and alcohol/drug screening test will be required as condition of employment.