- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head
- Salary: $19.38 hourly ($40,310 annually) or higher depending upon qualifications.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 43,475
- Where: Charlottesville, VA
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jul 26 2018
Application Deadline: Continuous/Open Until Filled.
Apply online at: www.charlottesville.org/jobs
The Charlottesville Police Department invites applications for the position of Police Officer. Certified officers are encouraged to apply. Once applications are reviewed by the department, applicants will be invited to physical and written testing. A practice physical agility test will be available, times and dates to be determined. Qualified candidates will be provided further testing information by email.
A Police Officer protects and defends citizens and the Constitution as well as personal and private property, enforces criminal and traffic law, serves warrants and makes arrests, generally under the supervision of a first line supervisor; performs related work as required.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency required.
- None required.
- Age less than 21 at time of hire (must be at least 20 years and 6 months of age at time application is submitted)
- Drug convictions
- DUI convictions in the past 5 years
- Felony convictions
- Inability to obtain a Virginia driver's license
- Lack of U.S. citizenship
- Lack of a high school diploma or GED
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Driving record with positive points and no accidents
- College degree or relevant coursework
- Department of Criminal Justice Services certification
- Military experience with honorable discharge
- Police or corrections experience
- Proficiency in a language other than English
- Prior to employment, candidates must pass all phases of the screening process, to include a Physical Agility Test, written examination, physical and psychological evaluation; polygraph examination; background check including but not limited to references, criminal history check, and DMV check; pre-employment drug testing.
- Employees must also sign a no-smoking contract.
Skills: Requires the knowledge of or ability to obtain the knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; general knowledge of the geography of the City and location of important buildings; general knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instruction and to prepare clear concise reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of a action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of motor vehicles.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job posting and to apply, visit our employment website listed. Applications are only accepted online through our employment website. The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.