- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head
- Salary: $24 - $25. Per Hour DOE
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 65,870
- Website: http://www.flagstaff.az.gov
- Where: 211 W. Aspen Ave., Flagstaff, AZ, 86001
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 9 2018
TO APPLY ONLINE: In order to apply for this position you will have to fill out a City of Flagstaff application on our website. Visit our website to apply or for more information on this position and other opportunities. You will find complete job descriptions, requirements and application information at: http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/jobs NOTE: Applications are due to the Human Resources department by 4PM on the closing date regardless of the postmarked date. TO APPLY IN PERSON: Applications are available and can be turned in at: 211 W. Aspen Ave., Flagstaff, AZ 86001 Call our general information line at (928) 213-2090 or (800) 463-1389 to request an application by mail. Fax your resume to (928) 213-2089 or E-mail: email@example.com Additional information about current and open job vacancies can also be found by calling our job line at (800) 463-1389.
CITY OF FLAGSTAFF
Flagstaff is the largest community in the high country and is the county seat for Coconino County, the largest county in the United States. A historic Route 66 town, Flagstaff is ideally located at the juncture of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40. Though still reflecting a small town atmosphere, it maintains a selective growth plan with new expansion programs underway.
The City of Flagstaff is Northern Arizona’s Employer of Choice! Our City government is devoted to enhancing the quality of life of our citizens and the experience of the many visitors who are attracted to Northern Arizona.
Date Posted: January 5, 2018
Vacancy No: 002-18
Position Title: Police Officer: New Officers or Laterals (Arizona State Laterals or
Out of State Laterals)
Division / Section: Police Department/Patrol
Position Status: Full Time; FLSA Non Exempt; Tenure and Benefit Eligible
Work Week: Shift Work: Day, evening and night shift hours which does include
weekends and holidays. Shifts rotate every six months.
Salary Range: Police Officer Recruit or Out of State Laterals***:
$23.7229 per hour upon hire; $24.3471 per hour after successful
completion of Police Academy; $24.9714 per hour after successful
completion of Field Training
Arizona Laterals*** (Arizona POST Certified):
$24.3471 per hour; $24.9714 per hour after successful completion of
*** $10,000 hiring bonus for certified police officers
$1,600 initial uniform advance upon hire, then $1,200 annual uniform
Closing Date: Ongoing eligibility list
Thank you for considering a career with the Flagstaff Police Department. Recruits and Out of State Laterals please note that initial written testing is ongoing and is conducted by The National Testing Network (NTN). Visit their site to register, locate the nearest testing facility and secure a seat for the next testing date. Applicants local to the Flagstaff area may test at the Flagstaff Police Department on the following dates:
In order to move forward in the application process, you must register with NTN, secure a seat for the upcoming testing date at your chosen location and successfully complete the exam which NTN will provide. Your score will be forwarded to the Hiring Coordinator. After successful completion of the exam with NTN, you will be required to submit a hand-written application and two background packets, listed below. Arizona Laterals are exempt from testing with NTN.
***$10,000 hiring bonus for certified police officers to be paid in three increments as outlined in the contract:
a. $3,333.00 will be paid upon completion of six (6) months of service AND successfully completion of the field training program. If field training is not completed by such six-month service date then payment will be paid upon successful completion of the field training program.
b. $3,333.00 will be paid to the Certified Officer upon completion of 12 months of service.
c. $3,334.00 will be paid to the Certified Officer upon completion of 18 months of service.
Click here for details on the Certified Officer Payback Agreement.
Applicants: please print and complete the following documents in your own handwriting:
• City Application
• Police Department Background Questionnaire
• Recruitment Analysis Form
These documents may also be picked up at the Human Resources office. All of these documents must be completed and notarized as necessary in order to participate in the selection process. The completed forms should be mailed or delivered to Human Resources at 211 West Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ, 86001.
Once these two requirements are met (completed written exam and above documentation), you will be notified of time and location for a physical fitness test followed by an oral board interview. Physical fitness test requirements can be found here: physical fitness test requirements. Please note, our department does not require the NTN physical.
Upcoming dates for physical fitness tests and oral board interviews are as follows:
Out of State Laterals will be required to complete the AZ Post Waiver Process found here.
The position of Police Officer actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. This is general duty police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
Work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations, and the police officer receives assignments and instructions from officers of higher rank. Work normally consists of routine patrol, preliminary investigations, and traffic regulation duties. Work may involve an element of personal danger and the employee of this class must be able to act without direct supervision and exercises independent judgment in meeting emergencies. Work methods and results are checked by superior officers through personal inspections, review of reports, and discussions. Performs related work as assigned.
This position is FLSA non-exempt.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Operates an automobile in patrolling an assigned area for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of traffic laws and regulations.
• Responds to radio and telephone dispatches and reports to scenes of disorder or crime.
• Investigates and prepares reports on accidents, offenses, and damages to property.
• Gives information and directions to the public.
• Makes arrests, directs traffic, and requests medical attention when necessary.
• Appears in court as the arresting officer or to present evidence.
• Transports prisoners, assists in the investigation of crimes, and collects and preserves evidence.
• Interrogates witnesses and suspects.
• Participates in various police programs, such as block watches, crime prevention outreach, drug awareness, etc., as assigned.
• Participates in various special functions such as investigations, bomb squad, swat team, negotiating team, firing range, etc., as assigned.
• May be assigned specialized patrol such as bicycle, motorcycle, or walking beat.
• Identifies and addresses repetitive problems in assigned areas in cooperation with law abiding residents utilizing available community resources.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Must recognize and accept the expectation of ethical and law abiding behavior in both professional and personal life, as an example to the public you serve.
• The person shall be a United States citizen.
• The person shall be at least 21 years of age, except that a person may attend an academy if he/she will be 21 prior to graduating.
• The person shall be a high school graduate or have successfully completed a General Education Development (G.E.D.) examination.
• The person shall have undergone a complete background investigation; which meets the standards of Section R13-4-106 except that an applicant may begin an academy prior to the return of the results of the fingerprint check. However, the applicant may not graduate from the academy nor the agency receive reimbursement for an applicant for which a qualifying return result has not been obtained. The background shall attest to the fact that the person meets minimum qualification, has not engaged in conduct or a pattern of conduct that would jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession, and is of good moral character.
• The person shall have undergone a medical examination which meets the standards of Section R13-4-107. An examination preceding an appointment by more than one hundred and eighty days shall require the submission of a written statement from the applicant that his/her condition has not changed since the examination.
• The person shall not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona.
• The person shall not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
• The person shall not have been previously denied certified status, revoked, or have his/her current certified status under suspension, pursuant to Section R13-4-109.
• The person shall not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for sale.
• The person shall not have illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
• The person shall never have illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation.
• The person shall never have illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
• The person shall not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale, any dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana.
• The person shall not have illegally used dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years.
• The person shall never have illegally used dangerous drugs or narcotics other than for experimentation.
• The person shall never have illegally used dangerous drugs or narcotics while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
• The person shall not have a pattern of abuse of prescription medication.
• The person shall have undergone a polygraph examination, which meets the requirements of R13-4-106, unless prohibited by law.
• The person shall not have been convicted of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with such a frequency so as to indicate a disrespect for traffic laws and a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway within the past three years.
• The person shall have read the code of ethics in subsection (E) and affirmed by signature the person's understanding and agreement to abide by the code.
The testing process will include a written exam, physical agility test as well as an oral interview. All of these assessments will be completed on the test date above or the next possible date. The background investigation will proceed after successful completion of all testing components.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The pre-employment requirements for the position of Police Officer include essential job functions and
• Standard physical exams
• Drug and alcohol exam
TO APPLY ONLINE:
In order to apply for this position you will have to fill out a City of Flagstaff application on our website. Visit our website to apply or for more information on this position and other opportunities. You will find complete job descriptions, requirements and application information at: http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/jobs
NOTE: Applications are due to the Human Resources department by 4PM on the closing date regardless of the postmarked date.
TO APPLY IN PERSON:
Applications are available and can be turned in at: 211 W. Aspen Ave., Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Call our general information line at (928) 213-2090 or (800) 463-1389 to request an application by mail. Fax your resume to (928) 213-2089 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information about current and open job vacancies can also be found by calling our job line at (800) 463-1389.
The City of Flagstaff is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Paid Holidays • Paid Vacation Days • Paid Sick Days • Health/Dental/Life/Vision Insurance