- Job Function: Planning Director; Other Department Head/Director
- Salary: $104,544 - $146,361. generous benefits package
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 255,000
- Website: http://www.chandleraz.org/
- Where: 175 S Arizona Ave, Chandler, AZ 85225
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Feb 9 2018
Deadline: Mar 7 2018
APPLY ONLINE AT: www.chandleraz.gov/hr/jobs BY: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 @11:59pm
The City of Chandler Development Services Department is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of PLANNING ADMINISTRATOR. The ideal candidate will have experience managing and directing activities of a Planning Division, preferably within a municipal setting; in addition to excellent communication skills and a keen political acumen.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to manage, direct, and coordinate the activities of the Planning Division. This position manages the overall programs, staff, financial objectives, and assists with the strategic analysis and planning for the Planning Division. Additionally this position represents the department to the public, elected officials and other agencies; and interprets code and regulation issues, policies and procedures.
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
• Directs, implements, manages the programs, operations, budget and employees of the Planning Division, including site development, current and long range planning, and civil plan review;
• Supervises and evaluates assigned staff, addresses employee concerns and problems, counsels, disciplines and completes performance appraisals; conducts interviews and makes hiring decisions;
• Prepares long range plans and assists with developing master plans and other strategic documents; conducts research; prepares surveys; interprets results for use in planning, evaluation and decision making; continually monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery, assesses work load, reporting relationships and opportunities for improvements within the programs, services and facilities managed and maintained by the Division;
• Manages the budget for the Planning Division; conducts fiscal/economic impact studies and cost/benefit analyses to prepares budget projections; assists with developing annual operating budgets;
• Manages operations, activities and services; ensures compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures; coordinates the establishment and review of program and services policies; ensures adherence to safety and risk management procedures; and initiates actions to correct deviations or violations as necessary;
• Directs the implementation, administration, review, and amendment of the City's long-range and short-term master plan and development objectives and civil plan review;
• Provides professional and technical planning and development assistance and recommendations to City administrative and management staff and governing and policy bodies, including the Planning Commission, City Council, Board of Adjustment, Architectural Review Committee, and The Mayor's Committee for Architectural Excellence, and other bodies;
• Coordinates with developers, contractors, property owners, community and neighborhood groups, civic advisory groups, the public, and other interested and affected parties in land use, planning, and development issues and decisions;
• Implements City Council and other administrative and management mandates;
• Represents the City for regional planning groups and at public meetings and conferences;
• Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive inquiries, complaints and requests for information regarding development related issues for developers, architects, engineers and property owners; communicates and provides information to the public through correspondence, interviews and telephone calls;
• Provides assistance and information to the public regarding private development;
• Translates department objectives outlined by the Director into specific programs and projects;
• Manages several complex projects with staff from one or more divisions or departments;
• Serves on intergovernmental committees, task forces and other inter-agency groups;
Presents oral and written reports as requested to city agencies and the city council, development and construction interest groups, other interested parties and groups and the public.
• Reviews and participates in the development of proposed code changes, new development policies and ordinances;
• Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance City policies, procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
• Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Public Administration or related field;
• Eight (8) years to ten (10) of experience in public planning and/or public sector development services, including three (3) supervisory experience; and
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• A Master's Degree.
This position is designated as "unclassified" and will serve at the pleasure of the City Manager.