- Job Function: Analyst
- Salary: $30 - $43.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 6,658
- Where: 130 S Galena Stn , Aspen, CO
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Aug 7 2018
Deadline: Sep 4 2018
Position Summary: Performs advanced, senior level work to enhance organizational excellence and innovation.
Supervision Exercised and Received: Works under the general direction of the Director of Quality.
Essential Job Functions:
Innovation & Organizational Excellence
• With limited direction from the Director of Quality, leads cross-functional teams in crafting approaches to solve complex business problems and achieve organizational excellence. Guides departments in managing the transition from study to implementation and results.
• Applies advanced facilitation, project management, business process improvement and innovation tools and techniques such as:
o Use of Lean Six Sigma, Baldrige, design thinking or other improvement tools and techniques
o Use of Balanced Scorecard or other performance measurement/management systems
o Survey and business intelligence analysis
Leadership and Consulting
• Serves as a principal technology/process improvement consultant for internal city stakeholders, addressing a wide variety of complex topics and needs. Leads and empowers department, cross-functional and potentially cross-jurisdictional teams to achieve excellence using both tried-and-true best-practices and new innovative approaches to facilitation, project design and problem solving. Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key partners. Effectively manages a substantial portfolio of projects, while requiring minimal supervision.
Training and Support
• As a training leader, enhances the capability and capacity of the city for improvements and efficiency by crafting training and support materials, hosting training sessions, developing on-line learning tools and providing one one-on-one support for -organizational performance, process improvements and innovations.
• Represents the Quality Office and the City Manager’s Office (CMO) on internal and external initiatives where the City is a stakeholder. As needed, responds to work requests that do not fall directly into the categories above, but which require a similar level and type of skills.
CORE COMPETENCIES: Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Ability to manage ambiguity; consistently able to operate even in uncertainty and when the way forward is not clearly outlined. Ability to collaborate at all levels of the organization; consistently able to build partnerships with the goal of meeting shared organizational objectives.
• Ability to listen well to others and effectively glean insights and appropriate meaning from what others say.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral communication. Consistently able to communicate across all levels of the organization with the goal of facilitating process improvement, and customer service development.
• Ability to work independently; setting priorities, organizing work, determining resource allocation and requirements, and coordinating with other groups to accomplish goals, monitor progress, and evaluate outcomes.
• Demonstrates courage in confronting challenging issues and delivering difficult messages.
• Demonstrates innovation; consistently creates better ways for the organization to be successful; while balancing reliability with creativity.
• Knowledgeable in, and able to apply, business intelligence tools such as data analysis, statistics, and survey analysis tools; including a demonstrated ability to apply advanced statistical analysis in order to determine the validity and usefulness of data, and to manipulate analytical data to support business decisions.
• Knowledgeable in, and able to apply, performance measurement, process improvement, and innovation tools at an advanced level
• Ability to relate to diverse groups of people.
• Demonstrates effective project leadership and management; knowledgeable in the fundamental project management process, methodologies, tools, techniques, and ability to adapt them to the organization.
• Ability to manage a complex portfolio of projects.
• Skilled in the use of facilitation tools and techniques to ensure the group environment is productive, fostering participation and accomplishing objectives. Consistently able to assist groups in solving problems and making decisions.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, data analysis, quantitative methods/analysis, public administration, program evaluation or other relevant field (or other Degree with strongly related work experience)
Experience: Four (4) years progressively responsible professional experience in process improvement, or performance measurement, such as Lean Six Sigma, Baldrige, process mapping and analysis, Business Analysis, Balanced Scorecard or similar.
Technical Knowledge: Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Email.
Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a valid Colorado Driver’s License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of start date.
• Black Belt level training in Lean Six Sigma (or equivalent) strongly preferred.
• Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
• Experience with MS Visio, project management software, survey or statistical analysis software
• Advanced training in project management, team facilitation, leadership and organizational management principles.
• Advanced training in quality, innovation, program evaluation, process improvement, LSS or other improvement methodologies.
• Extensive experience leading cross-functional teams.
• Public sector experience.
• Additional relevant certifications.
NOTE: This position requires a Criminal Background Check upon hire. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
NOTE: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required abilities, knowledge and skills as determined by the City of Aspen may be substituted for the requirements above.
Position Type and Work Hours: Regular full time termed position (one year), 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, hours may vary with workload.
Evenings/Weekends: Occasionally required in addition to or instead of normal hours depending on special events, meetings, or departmental needs.
• Indoors: Office environment.
• Outdoors/Off-Site: Site visits to various city facilities, meetings, and trainings in various city locations.
Essential Physical Requirements:
• Lifting & Carrying: Occasionally up to 25 lbs. of boxes, files, etc.
• Physical: Reaching, standing, sitting, typing, talking, crouching, kneeling, seeing and hearing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.