- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head
- Salary: The starting hiring amount is $15.50 to $28.80 an hour.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 43,475
- Website: http://www.charlottesville.org
- Where: Charlottesville, VA
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Mar 6 2018
Apply online at: www.charlottesville.org/jobs
This position performs difficult skilled work in the fastening and fabrication of natural gas distribution and service lines. Does related work as required.
•Welds connection and converting sleeves and fittings to steel gas pipe, threads pipe;
•Fabricates pipe applications for residential and commercial gas meter installations;
•Constructs regulator stations and connecting piping;
•Welds valves, high pressure piping;
•Repairs and fabricates replacement and necessary parts for division equipment;
•Maintains welding equipment and takes control of supplies and materials;
•Repairs, restores and installs gas pressure regulators and devices;
•Assists with maintenance of high and low pressure gas line valves and regulators and records;
•Assists in making high pressure taps on natural gas lines;
•Assists in installation of large high pressure meter setups and records;
•Records all new and discontinued high pressure meter setups;
•Checks meter setups on gas lines between gate station and City for leak detection, maintenance and or servicing;
•Assists field crew on an as-needed basis in the installation or repair of gas lines;
•Performs house piping and meter moves on an as-needed basis;
•Performs related tasks as required.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to at least a high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 1 year of natural gas welding experience.
- Possession of a valid appropriate driver's permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia at time of hire.
- Certification in electrical welding at time of hire.
- Qualified in plastic pipe fusion and Mueller tapping equipment operation within 6 months of hire.
- Must maintain all certifications required by federal and state regulations.
- Must be able to work overtime and respond to emergencies.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather.
- Three years of natural gas welding experience preferred.
- Two years welding qualifications under API 1104 standard for utility pipe lines preferred.
- One year experience in oxyacetylene and arc welding of utility pipe lines preferred.
- Valid CDL is preferred.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job posting and to apply, visit our employment website listed. The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.