- Job Function: Finance Director
- Salary: DOE
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 38,844
- Where: City of Germantown 1930 S Germantown, TN 38138
- Form of Government: Mayor-Council
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Dec 11 2018
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Under broad direction of the City Administrator, responsible for the overall administration and management of the City’s Financial Services department. Financial Services includes three areas: Accounting, Treasury and City Court. Responsibilities include directing the accounting, cash management and fund investment activities to ensure financial security of the City government. Responsible for ensuring legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. Exercises supervision over general accounting, accounts receivables/collection, payroll, and utility billing system, business licensing, fund investments, debt management, and municipal court activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Supervise employees to include evaluating employee’s performance, providing staff training, and making hiring, disciplinary, termination and compensation decisions.
2. Develop, plan and implement goals and objectives for the department, consistent with the City mission.
3. Direct the financial operations of the City by establishing/reviewing financial procedures and controls to ensure compliance with accepted governmental accounting principles.
4. Direct the coordination of the annual audit and preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Report (CAFR) to produce a reliable and meaningful financial disclosure of the City.
5. Direct the Treasury collection activities and custody of public funds. Oversee the investment of City funds and the payment of bond obligations
6. Monitor and analyze market conditions and develop city fund investment strategies in accordance with federal & state laws and city policies. Select broker/dealers with whom the City will purchase and sell securities.
7. Monitor cash flow to determine cash demands ensuring timely investment of funds that will maximize interest earnings while meeting cash flow demands. Determine funds to invest for short-term needs and long-term transactions.
8. Participate in city fee impact analyses, evaluating current fee structures and developing a rate model plan to establish an equitable rate structure.
9. Form a close working relationship with City officials, Department Heads, boards and commissions.
10. Advise and counsel with City departments on accounting policies and procedures and work related issues.
11. Participate in the development of financial forecasts, including the City’s operating and capital budgets.
12. Develop the annual finance department operating budget and monitor expenditures under the current budget.
13. Participate on various boards, commissions and committees, preparing and making presentations as required; represent the Department at executive staff meetings when necessary.
14. Must be punctual and timely in meeting all job performance requirements, including but not limited to, attendance and tardiness standards and work deadlines.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Thorough knowledge of the general principles and practices of business and public administration
• Knowledge of professional accounting principles, practices and methods in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
• Knowledge of state and federal laws, rules and regulations governing municipal accounting functions and the investment of city funds
• Knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures, fund accounting and fiscal management
• Knowledge of banking and cash management procedures, products and services
• Proficient computer skills to effectively utilize spreadsheets, data bases, computerized accounting software and create presentations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, Department Heads, boards and commissions, employees and the general public
• Ability to present facts and recommendations in a clear, concise, logical manner, verbally and in writing
• Ability to analyze, evaluate and interpret account information and verify the accuracy of financial data
• Ability to make independent decisions as they relate to municipal accounting and budget
• Ability to handle confidential material in a highly professional manner
• Ability to plan and schedule the work of others
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business or public administration and seven (7) years experience managing accounting and cash management operations, including two years professional experience in governmental accounting; or any combination of education, training, and experience providing the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform essential job functions. Master’s degree is strongly preferred. Must have local government experience. Certification as CPA is strongly desired.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work takes place in an office environment.