- Job Function: Finance Director
- Salary: $93,036 - $142,789. DOQ
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 23,746
- Where: 116 West Beverley Street, Staunton, VA 24401
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Dec 6 2018
Deadline: Dec 17 2018
Interested applicants should complete an online application at City of Staunton Employment: www.ci.staunton.va.us/departments/human-resources and include a resume and cover letter. For questions, please contact: Jonathan Venn, Chief Human Resources Officer City of Staunton/Staunton City Schools 116 West Beverley St (Human Resources, 2nd Floor City Hall) Staunton, VA. 24401 504-332-3914 email@example.com
The City of Staunton, located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, is seeking highly qualified applicants for the Director of Finance. Come join our highly professional team dedicated to serving this dynamic city and its citizens. For more information about the office of Finance, please visit City of Staunton Finance. The City of Staunton offers excellent benefits and a wide range of educational and cultural amenities. Staunton, with a relatively low cost of living, is known for its history, architecture, arts, and cultural and culinary delights.
“One of the prettiest and most progressive towns in the South” and “20 charming mountain towns to visit this fall”- Southern Living
The City of Staunton is seeking an innovative leader with a proven track record of leading and managing the financial services for the City of Staunton and Staunton City Schools. This individual will perform complex professional administrative work planning, organizing, and directing all financial activities of the City and School Board. The position has responsibility for grant administration, audit completion and compliance, revenue analysis, utility revenue and rate analysis, investment management, purchasing, and accounting functions This individual will have a comprehensive knowledge of: general laws and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures; principles and practices of accounting in government and municipal purchasing system and; the various types of accounting effecting both the City and the School Board.
The Director of Finance will be responsible for the following:
• Selection and oversight of public depositories, financial institutions, financial firms and adviser(s);
• Responsible for and oversees the City and School Board’s cash management and investment portfolio;
• Establishment and maintenance of the City and School Board’s accounting system to ensure integrity of data;
• Planning, directing and participating in the accounting, payroll, purchasing, financial record keeping, and the utility billing and collection system for the City and the School Board;
• Advising management, School Officials and City officials of compliance with “IRS”, “Yellow Book”, “APA”, “GASB”, and any other financial procedures and regulations;
• Overseeing the preparation of financial statements and related reports for the City and School Board;
• Reconciling all financial records including City Departments, Treasurer’s Office, and Staunton School Board records;
• Overseeing the maintenance of all accounting and financial records of the City and School Board;
• Overseeing the general liability and property insurance program for the City and School Board;
• Procuring and coordinating the annual City, School Board, and School Activity Fund audit;
• Overseeing examination of all accounts, claims, and demands against the City and School Board for proper payment;
• Analyzing data and making recommendations for City Manager, City Council, Superintendent and School Board action;
• Overseeing disbursement of City and School Board funds;
• Managing the approval of vouchers for payment and directing the City and School Board’s purchasing activities;
• Managing the procurement and acquisition of materials, supplies, inventory, services, and equipment;
• Administering and ensuring compliance with Virginia Public Procurement Act;
• Administering and complying with all grant program financial requirements;
• Serving on the Advisory Committee for the City and School Board’s Deferred Compensation Plan;
• Ensuring compliance with all local ordinances, state and federal laws, and accounting regulations;
• Responsible for compliance with all Department of Education finance and reporting requirements at both the state and federal levels;
• Writing and administering financial policies, regulations and procedures for both the City and School Board;
• Supervising staff including hiring, dismissal, and discipline and;
• Serving and advising various regional boards for both the City and School Board.
Applicants must be a graduate from a college or university with a degree in accounting or finance, and must have extensive experience in local government finance administration in the state of Virginia. Experience in either a regional or national accounting firm specializing in audits of municipalities preferred. Certified Public Accountant required.
For a complete job description, please contact Jonathan Venn, Chief Human Resources Officer.
Criminal and financial/credit report background check are required.