- Job Function: Division Manager
- Salary: $55,000 - $65,000. DOE
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 22,787
- Website: http://www.westerlyri.gov
- Where: 45 Broad Stn , Westerly, RI
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Mar 1 2018
Deadline: Mar 30 2018
Please submit your resume with salary requirements to HR@westerlyri.gov.
“A Positive, Exemplary Community”
Director of the Animal Shelter
The salary range for this position is between $55,000 - $65,000 per annum on a 37.5 hour work week, depending on E/E. This position is an exempt managerial position and is not eligible for overtime. Extended hours beyond 37.5 hours a week can be expected due to clinic operations.
The Town of Westerly is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Animal Shelter. This position is responsible for directing and managing the day-to-day operations of the municipal animal shelter, including staff and volunteer management. This position is also responsible for coordination of the low cost clinic.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Communications, Marking or other related filed. The candidate will also have at least five years of working extensively with animals in a professional setting including caring for and feeding of animals, with at least three years in a management or supervisory role. Experience must include working with undesirable animals or diseased animals and making decisions on whether to place or euthanize. Professional certification and/or credentialing by the Society of Animal Welfare Administrators or the Human Society Academy is highly desirable, and will be required within the first year of employment.
The Town appreciates all applicants who are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity. The most qualified candidates will be individuals who have worked in similar positions, who have managed commercial farms, managed large programs in animal sciences divisions, or have directly related experience in professional animal management.
Candidates who own a large number of domesticated animals, worked on a small personal farm, or are just enthusiastic about animal welfare, without the outlined experience above, typically do not have the experience to qualify them for this executive level position.
The Director of the Animal Shelter works at the municipal animal shelter on Larry Hirsch Lane. Current hours are typically 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM; however, flexibility is expected for this position, as this position’s workload changes based on operational demand. Some of the responsibilities are as follows:
1. Directs, manages, leads, coordinates, trains and mentors departmental staff.
2. Ensures compliance with and educates on all applicable federal, state and Town laws, ordinances and regulations.
3. Prepares annual budget the animal shelter and oversees the facility.
4. Evaluates animals and makes determination to place or euthanize.
5. Conducts humane education seminars/talks with the public about pet responsibility.
6. Ensures compliance with and reports all animal activity within the shelter to various regulatory authorities.
7. Collects and analyzes data on metrics within the department.
8. Submits all time cards and invoices related to payment for staff and veterinarian.
9. Recruits and coordinates the efforts of a dedicated volunteer force and implements a formal training program to improve operational continuity.
10. Coordinates the veterinarian clinic by coordinating the veterinarian’s schedule and appropriate care of animals.
11. Orders supplies for the department and surgical suite such as vaccines, surgical supplies and oxygen.
12. Coordinates visits for program clinical hours and other external partners to tour and educate individuals about the animal shelter and veterinarian clinic.
13. Coordinates transfers of animals to and from the animal shelter by partnering with external agency partners.
14. Promotes and helps to place hard-to-place animals in the RI network.
15. Write and apply for various grants for the animal shelter
The candidate offered the position will be required to successfully pass a background investigation. A complete job description is available on-line at www.westerlyri.gov or at the Human Resources Department. Interested applicants must submit a resume with salary requirements to HR@westerlyri.gov. All resumes must be received by 4:30 pm on or before March 30, 2018. AA/EOE