- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head; Division Manager
- Salary: $100,000 - $125,000.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 1,000,000
- Where: 336 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Form of Government: County council-administrator/mgr
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 30 2019
To apply, please visit: http://www.wakegov.com/employment/deputyhrdirectorrecruit/Pages/default.aspx
What You'll be Doing
The Deputy HR Director plans, directs and manages multiple divisions within the Human Resources Department. The position oversees the Benefits & Wellness, HR Systems, Payroll, Employee Relations, Administrative Support, Training, and the Recruitment, Classification & Compensation teams while providing direction and leadership to supervisors and program managers who direct various sections in day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate will be able to focus on leveraging technology to improve operational and transactional services and be a strategic partner with the HR Director. The Deputy HR Director serves as a key management and leadership role while providing recommendations to improve Human Resources administration, procedures, policies and programs. The Deputy HR Director serves as the backup HR Director and assists the HR Director in strategic departmental operations planning. The Deputy is also responsible for providing leadership and oversight for the $52 million budget. The Deputy exercises considerable initiative with wide latitude for independent judgment. The position is highly visible with frequent opportunities to present to the Deputy County Managers, Senior Leadership Team and the County Board of Commissioners.
About Our Team
Through strategic partnership with County leadership, the Human Resources Department provides collaborative, innovative human resource programs and services that are customer-driven and results-oriented. With 30 full-time employees and an annual operating and benefits budget of $44 million, the Human Resources Department manages a variety of services, including:
- Benefits Administration;
- Employee Wellness;
- Recruitment, Classification and Compensation;
- Employee Relations and Staff Development;
- Payroll; and
- HR Systems
The National Association of Counties (NACo) has consistently recognized Wake County’s Human Resources Department for excellence in employee wellness, technology and talent acquisition. By continually seeking and implementing innovative approaches that are widely recognized as industry models, Wake County’s HR department positioned the County for national recognition as the Healthiest Employer of the Triangle and 2nd Healthiest Workplace in America for 2018.
The Basics (Required Education and Experience)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources Management or a related field.
- Seven years of experience in Human Resources Administration, including at least three years of Human Resources management experience.
Beyond the Basics (Preferred Education and Experience)
- Master's Degree
- HR Certification
- Experience in local government
- 7+ years of progressively responsible Human Resources experience, including 3+ years in a supervisory role
How You Will Know You're 'The One'?
- Critical thinking with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills including the ability to reverse engineer configurations
- A positive and technically-oriented leader, bringing innovation and creativity to the Human Resources department
- An open, approachable and action-oriented leader who exercises good judgment, treats others with respect and holds staff accountable
- An outstanding supervisor who provides guidance and professional support to staff, offering regular feedback and serving as a mentor
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to collaboration and forward-thinking efficiency
- A proven track record of moving projects forward and successfully implementing comprehensive change to HR systems, policies and procedures
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve complex technical problems
- Possesses exceptional oral/public speaking and written communication skills
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills with a great deal of political savvy and sensitivity
- Eye for detail and able to solve problems promptly
About this Position
- Location: Waverly F. Akins Wake County Office Building - 336 Fayetteville Street, Raleigh, NC
- Employment Type: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30am - 5:15pm
- Hiring Range: $100,000 - $125,000
- Posting End Date: The position will remain posted until filled with the first review of applications on Monday, February 11, 2019.