- Job Function: Chief Administrator (City/County Manager)
- Credential: No preference
- Salary: $110,000 - $110,000. +/- DOQ
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 147,546
- Website: http://WWW.rockislandco.org
- Where: 1504 Third Avenue, Rock Island IL 61201-8624
- Form of Government: County commission
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 2 2018
Candidates should apply by February 9, 2018 with résumé, cover letter and contact information for 5 work-related references to www.GovHRUSA.com/current-positions/recruitment to the attention of Kathleen Rush, Vice President, 630 Dundee Road #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240
Rock Island Co, IL (pop. 144,784) County Seat: Rock Island. This multi-faceted county, which will appeal to families and those seeking urban amenities, is conveniently located on the Illinois/Iowa border between Des Moines and Chicago and is seeking an experienced local government executive to lead its organization.
This county is accessible via interstates I-80, I-88, I-74 and I-280, and several major state highways and the Quad Cities International Airport. While there are 847 employees (includes seasonal employees and a senior care facility) and an $85 million budget, this position directly oversees 60 employees (+/-). Rock Island County blends rural and urban lifestyles and is home to two liberal arts universities, a wide variety of housing options, and outstanding recreational opportunities. The county seat is in Rock Island and the largest city in the County is Moline. The County is seeking an experienced, collaborative professional with strong interpersonal and finance skills and demonstrated track record of forging relationships. The County Administrator is hired by a Board of 25 members, each of whom represents a district, and must work closely with all County elected officials.
The new County Administrator is responsible for the administration of all departments and functions which are under the jurisdiction of the Board. The County Administrator supervises and oversees all phases of the annual budget. With County Board approval, the Administrator has administrative authority over personnel in positions under the jurisdiction of the Board except as otherwise prescribed by State Law. Functions under the County Board include: Animal Control, Information Systems, Human Resources, Assessments, Highway, County Building Maintenance, Zoning, GIS, and Hope Creek Care Center. In addition, the County Administrator serves as the Board’s representative to all departments, including those administered under nine (9) elected officials and autonomous boards, for budget and labor matters. The Administrator is responsible for human resource management in the County. The County currently has seven (7) labor union contracts with four (4) labor unions.
The Rock Island County Budget for 2018-19 is $85 million and the General Fund is $27 million of that total. The fund balance for the General Fund is $1,000,000. There are 39 funds in the budget.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
• A Master’s degree in business or public administration, management, government finance, economics, accounting, or related field.
• A minimum of seven years’ experience in increasingly responsible municipal or county executive level experience. Assistant administrator experience in a larger, similarly situated community will also be considered.
• Prior County management, as well as local government experience in Illinois, is highly desirable, but not required.
• Proven managerial and interpersonal skills to lead a dynamic, transforming organization in a community with varied resident service expectations and significant capital needs.
• Experience in a union environment where relationships and consistency are valued.
• A strong financial acumen (forecasting and budgeting) is required.
• Demonstrated ability to work in collaborative relationship with elected officials and Board members.
Starting salary is $110,000+/- DOQ. Residency within the county is required within six months. The County provides an excellent benefit package.