- Job Function: Finance Director; Other Department Head/Director
- Salary: Negotiable
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 222,800
- Where: 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, VA
- Form of Government: County council-administrator/mgr
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: May 7 2018
For more information on Arlington County Employment or to apply online for this position please visit https://careers.arlingtonva.us/; or call the Human Resource Analyst at 703-228-3506.
Arlington County's Department of Management and Finance (DMF) is seeking an experienced and innovative senior level financial manager to provide leadership in accounting processes and policies, financial analysis and financial reporting. The County Comptroller operates within a large (over $1 billion), complex, decentralized financial environment and is responsible for assuring the integrity of the County's financial systems and for safeguarding all monetary and other County assets.
Specific duties include:
• Coordinating the work of the County's external auditors, and state and federal authorities in their analysis of the County's finances, Financial Management System, and in the preparation of the County's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and report to the Auditor of Public Accounts (APA) of the Commonwealth of Virginia;
• Planning, directing and organizing the operations of the Accounting Division and proactively addressing and responding to the needs of the user departments, and redesigning processes and systems to better support them;
• Assuring that the Accounting Division provides the accurate and timely financial information about the County's overall financial status, as well as the financial status of individual programs, to the public, the County Board, County management, County staff, as well as to other interested organizations, such as the bond rating agencies;
• Managing logistics within constricted deadlines;
• Facilitating the interaction of many diverse players and focusing attention on identifying solutions to accounting or financial management challenges; and
• Assessing training needs and leading the development and delivery of financial management training;
• Developing relationships and working closely with County partners, such as the Treasurer, and DMF partners in budget and procurement.
The ideal candidate will embrace opportunities to enhance transparency, take initiative to collaborate with staff and external auditors and evaluate current financial management tools, policies, controls, and processes. This financial manager will also identify avenues for implementing best accounting or financial management practices, promote long-term and strategic thinking to manage risks to financial condition, develop an integrated approach to succession management to promote employee growth, development and retention, and leverage technology to create new opportunities.
Starting salary is negotiable and will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected.
Reasonable Accommodations: Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process.