- Job Function: Planning Director; Other Department Head/Director
- Salary: $98,785 - $105,756. DOE/DOQ
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 4,353
- Website: http://www.ci.valdez.ak.us
- Where: 212 Chenega Ave, Valdez, AK 99686
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 10 2018
Applications and complete job description are available on the City of Valdez website (www.ci.valdez.ak.us/jobs), or at Valdez City Hall. Return completed application, resume and cover letter to City of Valdez, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 307 Valdez, AK 99686. Application packages can also be delivered to 212 Chenega Ave, Valdez, AK 99686.
The City of Valdez is accepting applications for a Community Development Director to oversee the Community Development Department. This is a full-time FSLA Exempt position working at least 40 hours per week, rate of pay is $98,785 - $105,756 annually DOE/DOQ, plus and excellent benefit package.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Coordinates the comprehensive city planning process and reviews Community Development priorities and City strategic plans; develops and evaluates land use goals and objectives; assures that Community Development plans meet City Council goals, objectives and directives; ensures public involvement in the process; and coordinates the documentation of a city plan.
Evaluates Community Development issues, and recommends solutions; identifies and communicates strategies, goals and objectives; assures effective communication of project plans.
Administers the City zoning and community development ordinances: drafts new zoning and community development ordinances, administers rezoning and appeals.
Plans for and holds public meetings or hearings, including public notices and notices to affected property owners when required in compliance with adopted procedures. Coordinates press releases with the City Public Information Officer and when necessary.
Writes and produces brief descriptions or summaries of proposals, issues or requests; including facts, applicable requirements and analysis related to criteria, standards, regulations, policies and procedures; writes conclusions and recommendations for City Council and/or the Planning and Zoning Commission.
Orients new commission members to the City of Valdez structure, vision, operations, and specific issues
Compiles and analyzes data on environmental, social, and geophysical factors affecting land use to recommend measures affecting land utilization consistent with community needs.
Administers the City land development regulations: issues land development permits, provides information to the public on development issues, and processes appeals.
Reviews development and related land use permit applications, site plans, variance applications, certificates of appropriateness, etc. Examines applications for compliance with established plans and ordinances, and applicable local, state or, federal regulations; solicits input from appropriate staff, schedule hearing and actions, monitors applications through approval process, enforces compliance with regulations, prepares reports and related data as requires and addresses complaints.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Community Planning, Urban Planning, or Public Administration from an accredited college or university.
• Preference will be given to those candidates with a Master’s Degree in Community Planning, Urban Planning, or Public Administration from an accredited college or university.
• Five (5) years’ experience in community development or redevelopment in the public sector including two years supervisory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Membership and participation in related professional organizations
• Designation or educational experience in pursuit of designation as an APA/AICP (American Planning Association/American Institute of Certified Planners) Certified Planner is required.