- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head; Division Manager
- Salary: starting salary will be between $61,131.90 to $105,280.16 annually.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 43,475
- Where: 605 East Main Street, Charlottesville, VA
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: May 14 2018
The City Engineer with the City of Charlottesville is responsible for all aspects of work performed by the engineering division of the Department of Neighborhood Development Services. Specific areas of related work include, but are not be limited to: new sidewalks, Neighborhood Drainage program, Virginia Storm Water Management program, Erosion and Sediment Control program, road construction, pre & post construction inspections, minor repairs and inspections of city bridges, engineering construction support for Urban Construction Initiative Program, Floodplain Management , the engineering plan review process, and public / private project collaboration for under grounding of overhead utilities.
•Oversees, plans, and participates in the activities of the engineering division which includes staff engaged in surveying, inspection of construction projects, preparing plan designs with the use of GIS mapping, GPS, and CAD technologies;
•Development and maintenance of city design standards, construction details, technical analysis, specifications, investigations, cost estimates, construction administration and management, schedule estimates, and plan reviews;
•Provides oversight and support for the Erosion & Sediment Control and the Virginia Stormwater Management Program including inspections of stormwater facilities in the City;
•Manages new sidewalk construction citywide;
•Coordinates with private utilities companies for new installations in the City's ROW;
•Provides engineering recommendations to department, management, and city officials;
•Prepares and monitors project budgets;
•Interacts with the public, developers, private engineering, architectural professionals, and other City departments;
•Supervises divisional personnel and the maintenance of related records;
•Leads discussions, meetings, and presentations with staff, citizens, interest groups, commissions, and Council;
•Coordinates work of engineering staff with other federal, state, county and city agencies;
•Supervises the inspection and acceptance of city infrastructure;
•Assists in preparing the Division's annual budget and is responsible for budget administration;
•Performs other related duties as assigned
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a four year degree and graduation from an accredited college or university with major work in civil engineering. (Minimally, possession of high school diploma or GED is required, and one and a half years of relevant work experience may be substituted for each year of the required higher education.)
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of work related experience in professional civil engineering.
- Valid VA Driver's license required by start date.
- Engineer's (PE) license;
- Erosion & Sediment and Stormwater certifications from the Department of Environmental Quality.
TO APPLY: to view the complete job posting and to apply, visit our employment website listed. The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.