- Job Function: Assistant to Manager/CAO
- Salary: $55,000 - $85,000.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 14,273
- Where: 1 Park Center Ctn , Manassas Park, VA
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Assistant to the City Manager for Administration within the Office of the City Manager. This position reports directly to the City Manager and assists in the coordination and oversight of City Administrative Departments including Finance, HR, IT, & General Services Division and coordination with partnering departments- Treasurer’s Office and Commissioner of Revenue. Specifically, this position will be the Program/Project Management lead for Capital Projects and IT Projects/Systems on behalf of and with direction from the City Manager, will help the City Manager with day to day coordination of the City Administrative Departments & Support Division, will serve as a Management and Policy Analyst for Administrative & Support Services, will help the City Manager with Economic Development efforts, and will perform other duties as assigned by the City Manager. The City is looking for candidates who are eager to learn and grow in this position based on their educational background and/or experience with an expectation of receiving support and mentorship from the City Manager and other City Staff and Consultants.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Provides Program/Project Management Support to the City Manager:
• Takes the lead with Project Management for Capital Projects including budgeting, scheduling, invoicing, and tracking revenues and expenditures.
o Preparing financial information on project funding formulas, grants, etc.
• Assists the Finance Department and City Departments with the development of the first draft of the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for the City Manager.
• Assists with departmental purchasing activities, working with the General Services Division and Department Directors to ensure compliance with requirements from the City’s Finance Department and Procurement Laws.
• Develops Requests for Proposals, Invitations for Bid, and contract specifications for services to the City and for design and construction services for capital projects.
• Manages the current implementation of the City’s Financial Software (ERP) System with the support of the IT Department (software specialist) and interfaces with the vendor on ongoing performance issues.
o Oversees ERP system related program/project deliverables and utilization, representing the City stakeholders’ needs and requirements and acts as a focal point for escalation when either the City stakeholders or the ERP vendor are challenged to fulfill commitments and obligations.
o Functions as the City’s lead in scheduling and facilitating meetings and conversations related to ERP implementation, utilization, problem identification and resolution.
o Responsible for understanding all user expectations, processes, and inputs/outputs necessary to develop a specific functionality/outcome.
o Responsible for regular written and oral communication on the ERP system performance, deficiencies, stakeholder use challenges, and vendor performance results.
o Guides City Departments in understanding and documenting the data capture, mapping, flows, and conversion/migration requirements and activities associated with City functions and ERP system data processing.
o Reviews any new business software or application under consideration by City Departments to consider impacts and implications related to the City ERP platform. Support City Manager in evaluation of other ERP platforms.
o Supports the training and stakeholder adoption and utilization program, scripts and metrics to ensure that the ERP system is being effectively utilized and users are properly equipped to perform their respective role with the system.
Administrative Management Support
Provides operational support to the City Manager:
• Coordinates and helps oversee the administrative departments (Finance, IT, and HR) and support division (General Services) of the City.
• Coordinates the operations of the three financial departments of the City (Finance, Treasurer, and Commissioner of Revenue.
• Responds to internal customer (City Departments) service request for Administrative and Support functions.
• Interacts and communicates with Department Directors, staff, and with partnering agencies to respond to their inquiries and request for support and to implement directives from the City Manager.
• As directed by the City Manager, represents the City on regional and local boards or committees.
• Assists the City Manager with crafting responses to Governing Body requests for information and/or service.
• Acts as the key advisor for the City Departments in documenting, analyzing, and facilitating the improvement of administrative and support business processes and workflows for the municipality.
Management & Policy Analyst
• Supports the City Manager and Administrative Departments and Support Division in crafting, monitoring, and updating the City’s Strategic Plan.
• Supports Administrative Departments and Support Division with operational data tracking and analysis (i.e. performance management data- inputs, outputs, outcomes, efficiency ratios, etc.).
• Supports the City Manager with streamlining Business Processes across departments.
• Performs research and analysis for presentations on special projects as assigned by the City Manager.
Chief Economic Analyst
• Support the City Manager with Economic Development efforts including representing the City at the Chamber of Commerce, attending meetings with developers and businesses with the City Manager, and providing economic analysis to the City Manager (e.g. demographic data, traffic data, parcel analysis, etc.).
• With the support of the City Manager- provides economic growth research projections by sector (using regional university research data and city business performance data) and fiscal impact analysis (with the support of the Finance department) for proposed developments.
• May be deemed essential at any time.
• Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Knowledge of the goals, principles, practices, and procedures of Municipal Operations, Public Policy, and Management & Administration.
• Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze programs, policies, and operational needs.
• Ability to learn quickly.
• Ability to work independently and to accomplish tasks and assignments.
• Ability to effectively communicate ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate verbally in a public-speaking environment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies/departments, and the general public.
• Ability to use mathematical concepts: applications of fractions, percentages, ratios, statistics, mean averages.
• Ability to utilize a desktop/laptop computer, strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), database software aptitude.
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle, phone, fax, copy machine, and scanner.
Minimum Education and Training
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college with major course work in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, Finance, Accounting, or related field with a minimum of two (2) years of public sector experience (or related private sector experience such as management consulting); or a Master’s Degree from an accredited college with major course work in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, Finance, Accounting, or related field.
• Military Service is a plus.
• Driver’s License.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving sitting, standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
2. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking and color perception.
3. Some tasks may require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
4. Performance of duties may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, traffic hazards, toxic agents and/or animal/wildlife attacks.
Authorized hiring range: $55,000.00 - $85,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/index.php/component/content/article/128...
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.