- Job Function: Deputy Chief Administrative Officer
- Credential: Preferred
- Salary: $145,000 - $155,000. Base salary will be negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 57,477
- Website: http://www.rockymountnc.gov
- Where: 311 South Franklin Street
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Feb 5 2018
Deadline: Mar 4 2018
To apply for this position, visit the Developmental Associates client openings website (https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/), where you will find links to current openings and information about assessments. All applications must be submitted online via this portal. Resume screening will begin March 4, 2018. Semi-Finalists will participate in interviews and onsite skill assessment in Rocky Mount on April 5-6, 2018. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. The City of Rocky Mount is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.
The City of Rocky Mount, NC is seeking an engaging, customer service focused, strategic thinker and effective project manager to be their next Assistant City Manager. With the ability to lead competent staff and work effectively within the Council-Manager form of government, the successful Assistant City Manager has a track record of partnering and collaborating with staff, community, regional partners and the Council to carry out the strategic priorities of the community. The successful Assistant City Manager will work with a City Manager who has been on the job less than a year, a very stable and diverse Council that has a record of teamwork, and staff who are diverse, highly experienced, and well-respected.
Celebrating its 150th anniversary, and established at the Falls of the Tar River, Rocky Mount prides itself on being a leading cultural, economic, and education center of Eastern North Carolina. This city of over 60,000 lies in two counties, Nash and Edgecombe and is home to NC Wesleyan College as well as Nash and Edgecombe Community Colleges. With lovely parks and greenways, a jewel of the City is the Imperial Center for the Arts and Sciences creatively and lovingly renovated from an abandoned Atlantic Coast Line Railroad water tank and pump house. The city is served by three major highways: I-95 to its west US 64 (Future 87) as its main east-west corridor and US 301 (Wesleyan Boulevard) as its main north-south corridor. The City has easy access to Raleigh (55 miles) and the Research Triangle. It is also a two-hour drive from Wilmington and the beautiful North Carolina coast. With such easy access to several major highways and Raleigh-Durham International Airport, Rocky Mount is a great place to live and to do business. With its temperate climate and close proximity to both the mountains of North Carolina and Atlantic Ocean beaches, Rocky Mount provides residents the best of both worlds.
About the Organization
The City of Rocky Mount is governed by a non-partisan City Council utilizing a council/manager form of government consisting of a Mayor, Mayor Pro-Tem and six Council members. City Council sets the policy and direction; the City Manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the organization. The City, believing in active Community input and engagement has 15 Council Committees, Commissions, or Boards. Holding a Aa2 bond rating and multiple GFOA budget awards, the 2017-2018 adopted budget is $201M budget with a $64M General Fund, a $81.5M Electric and a $21M Gas Fund. The City holds a $400M debt load. The new Assistant City Manager would support the City Manager in leading 12 departments employing 900 FTE employees. In addition to traditional municipal departments, Rocky Mount is an ElectriCity which also has a fixed route transit system, a City library, museum and theater. Additional information about the City is available at http://www.rockymountnc.gov.
About the Position
As one of two Assistant City Managers reporting to the City Manager, the final portfolio of the selected candidate will depend on the talents of the new leadership team. The successful candidate is an energetic, proactive public-sector veteran with excellent leadership, people, project management and operational skills. The successful candidate holds high standards of performance for self and others and thrives in a high accountability culture to ensure that the City continues to succeed and meet the expectations of citizens and employees alike. Being tech savvy and a skilled strategic planner are desirable characteristics along with having a track record of excellence in supporting effective customer service. Key responsibilities will be leading projects through various stages while ensuring collaboration across departments and stakeholders to achieve outcomes and strategic priorities.
The successful Assistant City Manager candidate will have a minimum of 5-7 years increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal government management (department head level or above preferred). A bachelor’s degree is required while an MPA or MBA is strongly preferred. ICMA Certification also preferred. Must have proven track record in effective intergovernmental relations, personal community engagement, leading cohesive and strategic change, visionary leadership, and being adept at leading and implementing strategic planning to meet community goals.
The Successful Candidate:
• has successfully led complex projects with multiple stakeholders through design, implementation and effective evaluation;
• is a progressive leader with a proven track record in innovative municipal management;
• is skilled in leading using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities;
• is knowledgeable of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of City government;
• has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders such as City staff, Council Members and other public officials, business and community leaders, and the general public through demonstrated personal community engagement;
• is skilled in leading cross-functional teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions;
• is decisive and willing to make decisions while keeping key stakeholders informed;
• is keenly analytical and a critical thinker while being accessible and personable;
• commits to the highest level of customer service and community collaboration by routinely seeking stakeholder input to effectively achieve City goals;
• possesses executive level skills in interpersonal and written communications, strategic planning, finance and budget development, critical thinking, administration and intergovernmental relations;
• effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent;
• proactively monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures against performance metrics; and
• may serve in the absence of the City Manager.
Salary range and Application Process: The hiring range is $ 145,000 to 155,000. Base salary will be negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Information about benefits in general can be found at the following link or by copying and pasting the following link into your browser (http://www.rockymountnc.gov/departments___services/human_resources/emplo...).