The City of Marengo (pop. 7,568) is seeking a collaborative, enthusiastic, strategic and innovative professional to become its next Assistant City Administrator.
Located in southwest McHenry County, the City of Marengo is poised for many exciting opportunities. A successful candidate for this newly created Assistant City Administrator position will have a strong background in the following fields: financial management, economic/community development, land use, human resources, asset management, and capital improvement planning. Candidates must have five plus years of increasingly responsible experience in a community or organization of comparable or greater size and complexity to Marengo. The position requires a bachelor’s degree in business/public administration, finance, public policy, or a related field. Master’s degree is preferred. The successful candidate will be a motivated, self-starter that possesses excellent interpersonal skills, high analytical capacity, innovative thinking, and creative problem solving skills.
The Assistant City Administrator assists with overseeing the day-to-day operations of the City for 37 full-time and part-time employees (28 FT, 9 PT), and assists with the administration of the overall budget of $9.4 million this fiscal year, with a $4.8 million General Fund budget. The Assistant City Administrator will:
• Serve as Acting City Administrator in the absence of the City Administrator;
• Assist the City Administrator with the supervision of various departments and employees as assigned;
• Oversee finance and community development functions among other areas assigned by the City Administrator, including serving as the Planning and Zoning Administrator;
• Prepare financial reports, cost analyses/projections, ordinances/resolutions, etc;
• Participate in and makes presentations to various commissions, boards, civic organizations, associations, etc and to the City Council;
• Provide a variety of staff assistance to the Mayor and City Council members as directed by the City Administrator;
• Assist with managing the City’s brand and community engagement initiatives;
• Coordinate a variety of City communications with various media outlets, social media and the public;
• Perform any other special projects and/or assignments as assigned by the City Administrator.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting annual salary for this position is $100,000-DOQ/E. The City of Marengo offers an excellent compensation package which includes a health, dental and vision insurance package, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension, vacation, sick leave, personal days, and paid holidays among other benefits.