The Assistant Economic Development Director is responsible for assisting the Director in planning, directing, managing, and overseeing the activities and operations of the Economic Development Department including business recruitment, retention, and expansion, budget and financial operations, development, implementation and oversight of an international economic development strategy, contract monitoring and compliance, coordination and collaboration with community economic development partners, development of policies and guidelines, marketing activities, and implementation of a strategic plan. The Assistant Director Interfaces directly with Mayor and City Council members as well as with senior representatives of both public institutions and private sector businesses on economic development project and related activities. The Assistant Director will be instrumental in implementing the recommendations of the Economic Development Department's strategic planning effort over the course of the next 4+ years. This position exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
Essential Job Functions
• Exercises management responsibility for business recruitment, retention and expansion activities, to include international economic development, under the Department's purview. Recommends and administers all related policies and procedures.
• Assists in managing the development and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for each assigned service area; establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; and allocates resources accordingly.
• Assists in monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; and identifies opportunities for improvement and assists in directing the implementation of changes.
• Assists in acting as official departmental representative to other City departments, City Manager's Office, elected officials and outside agencies; explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant, and controversial issues.
• Assists in selecting, motivating, and evaluating department staff; provides or coordinates training and works with employees to correct deficiencies; and assists in implementing and administering disciplinary and termination procedures.
• Assists in planning, directing, and coordinating through subordinate-level staff, the department work plan; meets with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; and reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
• Assists in managing and participating in the development and administration of the department budget; estimates funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; and assists in directing the monitoring and approval of expenditures; and directing the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments as necessary.
• Assists with the completion of the strategic planning efforts and provides leadership in the development of new programs, resources, and tools as it relates to the implementation of the strategic plan.
• Assists in coordinating departmental activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provides staff assistance to the City Manager, Assistant City Managers, and City Council; and assists in preparing and presenting staff reports and other necessary communications.
• Attends City Council meetings and takes necessary action regarding Council agenda items.
• Directs the research, analysis, and preparation of complex studies or reports related to current or long-range economic development and employment issues.
Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college with major coursework in Business Administration, Finance, Economic Development, Urban Studies or a related field. They will also have Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in economic development administration, including three (3) years of supervisory responsibility. Certified Economic Developer or Economic Development Finance Professional credentials are desired. The most highly qualified candidates for consideration will be selected based on a combination of education, career experience, and accomplishments that best fits the needs of the City of San Antonio.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have an extensive background in economic development and public sector management with proven and successful experience in problem solving and program development. Ideal candidates must have knowledge and experience with business recruitment, retention, and expansion, as well as international development. Previous experience with budget development and general program implementation is also desired. They must also have the ability to skillfully establish partnerships and positive relations with a variety of stakeholders which may include outside businesses and organizations, City Council, employees, and the community at large. Ideal candidates must also possess strong leadership characteristics who will need to engage, inspire, and mentor assigned staff and other City employees. The ability to skillfully and effectively communicate messages and presentations in a clear and concise manner is critical to be successful in this position.
The salary range for this position is $106,310.62 - $170,096.94, and the City of San Antonio will be offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The City also offers generous benefits and retirement including annual and personal leave, executive car allowance, deferred compensation plan, relocation/moving expenses and participation in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS).
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a cover letter, resume, references and salary requirements to:
This position is open until filled. First review of resumes will occur on February, 5th, 2022. Please submit your application as soon as possible and before the first resume review deadline to ensure you are considered for this position. Upon receipt, resumes will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this brochure. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by the City of San Antonio’s Executive Recruiter.
For additional information please contact:
Jeff Baldwin, Executive Recruiter
City of San Antonio
Human Resources Department
Phone: (210) 207-7939
Please note: Under the Texas Public Information Act, information from your resume may be subject to public disclosure.
The City of San Antonio is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.