The Itasca Fire Protection District, IL (population approximately 9,000) is seeking an experienced and passionate leader, committed to excellence in delivery of fire and EMS services to serve as its next Fire Chief. The Fire Chief position is a very visible member of the fire district community and requires well-developed leadership abilities and management skill sets that are based upon consensus building and problem-solving. The next Chief must be a highly motivated, self-starting, and confident individual with excellent, genuine, and trustworthy interpersonal skills, which mirrors the values instilled by the current Chief who will be retiring in the spring of 2022. The district is located approximately 25-miles northwest of downtown Chicago.
About the Fire District
• The fire district is located in Itasca, IL and covers 6.5 mi2 and includes portions of Itasca, Addison and Wood Dale as well as surrounding unincorporated areas of DuPage County.
• The district’s operating budget ($6.2 million - current fiscal year) is comprised of tax collections for both fire and ambulance services along with grants, donations, and other miscellaneous forms of revenue.
• The department is comprised of a Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, one (1) Fire Prevention Officer, three (3) Fire Lieutenants, twenty-one (21) full-time Firefighter/Paramedics, one (1) Administrative Assistant, and one (1) part-time assistant. Career shift personnel work a 24/48 schedule.
• The department is an ISO Class 3 department providing an all-hazards menu of services including fire, EMS, Hazardous Materials, Special Teams (High Angle, Trench, Confined Space, Dive Rescue), Community Risk Reduction, Public Education and more.
• The Fire District staffs an Engine, an ALS (Advanced Life Support) Ambulance and an Aerial Tower, and also maintains a reserve Rescue Squad as well as a reserve Engine and a reserve ALS Ambulance. Fire apparatus are ALS equipped. The Fire District has an annual call volume of around 1,700 EMS and fire calls a year. It services a very busy corridor of Illinois highways including IL 290, IL 53, IL 355, and the Elgin-O’Hare expressway just to the west of O’Hare Airport. It also is serviced by the Metra Commuter Service Rail System (Milwaukee District West) line which runs from Chicago’s Union Station to Elgin, IL to the west.
• The department is a member of ACDC (Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center) providing state-of-the-art dispatching and telecommunications services.
We are looking for an:
“Innovative, Dynamic and Visionary Leader”
• An experienced engaged and collaborative fire/EMS leader with a strong background in modern fire, EMS, emergency management and demonstrated managerial, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
• A strong communicator with all facets of a modern fire/EMS provider with a complex but manageable structure.
• An individual committed to the process of continuous improvement through study, data analysis, risk taking, and follow through with a focus on Community Risk Reduction.
• A commitment to the organization with a genuine confidence and approachability to residents, business, and governmental leaders featuring strong communication skills.
• The ability to mentor and foster leadership roles within the staff, succession planning, and a global vision of the community’s needs are critical. Creativity and the ability to guide and balance change is a must.
• Demonstrated experience in labor-relations, preferably in a collective bargaining environment. Succeeding through challenges and difficult situations.
• Strong budget skills supported by conservative fiscal management (Fire District experience a plus).
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college.
• Fifteen (15) years of fire service experience including chief officer experience.
• Fire department accreditation leadership certification through CPSE/CFAI or the State of Illinois is highly desirable (Chief Fire Officer).
• Other additional desired qualification includes: a graduate of the National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer (or enrolled with a specific completion date), ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and other supporting certifications.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Itasca Fire Protection District provides an excellent salary and benefit package commensurate with the candidate's experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should apply by December 17, 2021, with résumé/CV, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references to www.govHRjobs.com. Only electronic applications are accepted. Questions may be directed to the attention T.E Sashko, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847)380-3240 x123. Itasca Fire Protection District is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.