Responsible for managing the City's overall economic development and tourism development strategies. Economic development strategies include new business attraction, commercial area redevelopment, existing business retention and expansion, and promotion of the City as a premiere business location. Tourism Development strategies include the implementation of the City’s tourism policies, oversight of the City’s multi-million-dollar tourism development fund, recruitment of tourism product and infrastructure, enhancement of existing tourism product and infrastructure, and coordination with regional and state tourism allies. The Director develops and manages the Office's budget and operational work plans, ensuring that both reflect the City Council’s goals, initiatives and strategic plan, organizational goals, and priorities. The Director is the face of economic development and tourism development for the City and regularly meets with economic development and tourism prospects and allies, and represents the City at local, regional, state and national events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Manages the City's overall economic development and recruitment strategies for attracting new business, redevelopment of commercial areas, retention and expansion of existing businesses and promoting the City as a premiere business location.
• Manages the City’s overall tourism development and recruitment strategies and Tourism Development Fund to attract new and enhance existing tourism product and infrastructure.
• Works with the City Council, City Manager and City staff managing economic development, redevelopment, and tourism development activities in the City.
• Supervises and evaluates professional staff.
• Oversees all aspects of the office functions including new business recruitment, existing business assistance, tourism development fund management, special projects and the promotion of the City as a premiere business and tourism location.
• Serves as City liaison to the Williamsburg Economic Development Authority, Tourism Development Grant Review Committee, the Williamsburg Public Art Council, and the Williamsburg Area Arts Commission.
• Serves as City representative with economic development and tourism allies including the Greater Williamsburg Partnership, the Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance, the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, the Launchpad, the William and Mary Economic Development Office, the Greater Williamsburg Tourism Council, Greater Williamsburg Chamber of Commerce, the Virginia Tourism Corporation, Commercial Real Estate Associations and other relevant allies.
• Works with landowners and investors to redevelop under-utilized properties in the City, with a primary focus on the City's commercial corridors.
• Provides leadership to the continued redevelopment and infill development in strategic areas.
• Researches, evaluates and makes recommendations on incentive opportunities for investments.
• Assists in drafting economic development and tourism development strategies for the City's Comprehensive Plan and City Council's Biennial Goals and Initiatives.
• Coordinates the updates of the City’s Economic Development Plan.
• Works with City Planning Department in reviewing City zoning code requirements and Comprehensive Plan development to facilitate economic development, encourage redevelopment, and facilitate tourism development.
• Communicates the success and results of the Tourism Development grants and program to internal and external stakeholders
• Coordinates with the City Attorney and the City’s legislative liaison to identify and pursue applicable economic development and tourism advocacy issues at the regional, state, and federal levels.
• Prepares Requests for Proposals or grant proposals, as requested.
• Manages grant funds, including the Tourism Development Fund.
• Plays a lead role with other staff in the administration of the sale, use and development of City-owned or City-managed economic development property.
• Develops and manages the Office's budget and operational work plans, ensuring that both reflect the City Councils goals, initiatives and strategic plan, organizational goals, and priorities.
• Approves purchases up to $50,000 without approval from supervisor.
• Assists the City Manager with special projects.
• Attends meetings, work sessions, seminars, events, and conferences as needed, including some held before or after normal working hours and weekends and will require travel or overnight stay.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in a related field; and
• Seven (7) years of experience; or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Valid Virginia Driver’s License.
• Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) from the International Economic Development Council (IEDC).