Full-time | Generous benefits | Salary Range of $60,000 - $70,000 | On the job certification | Growth opportunities
Situated on Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix, the City of Charlevoix has a year-round population of 2,500 and swells to over 10,000 during the busy summer months. Long recognized as a premier Great Lakes resort community, Charlevoix provides full services to our residents and the City Clerk/Assistant to the City Manager plays a key role in the management and administration of the City. With a full cadre of recreation opportunities and a progressive, small-town atmosphere, Charlevoix offers northern Michigan quality of life opportunities unsurpassed by its peers.
After 7 successful years as the first appointed City Clerk, the incumbent will retire at the end of the year. The City plans to hire a successor by mid-year to ensure a smooth transition for election administration, records management, and project oversight.
• Plans and administers all elections including notices, ballots, tests, absentee ballots, training, election day oversight, and voter registration.
• Serves as Clerk to the City Council and ensures agendas, minutes and notices are developed for all public bodies of the City.
• Administers all FOIA programs and responds to requests.
• Issues licenses and permits and oversees cemetery lot sales and deeds.
• Serves as custodian of all City records and holds the City Seal for certification of all records.
• Provides executive-level support and project management in the City Manager’s office.
• Manages and directs the procurement and surplus property disposal process.
• Represents the City Manager in various meetings and with some boards and committees.
• Management of projects and public policy portfolio as needed.
•Key member of the City’s management team with close contact with the public, City Council, and vendors/contractors.
The next City Clerk/Assistant to the City Manager will be a dependable, detail-oriented, local government professional. The candidate will be well-versed in municipal operations and the ability to become certified as a Michigan Municipal Clerk. Optimally, the candidate will have education in public administration including a preferred master’s degree. Experience as a clerk or other local government professional is helpful but extensive training and orientation is planned for the position. The candidate should have a strong customer-service mindset and be prepared to be an outgoing, can-do focused representative of the City in all public interactions.
More about the community:
Located an hour from two regional airports (Traverse City and Pellston), the City of Charlevoix is within a quick drive of all Northern Michigan amenities. Charlevoix sits along the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix and the downtown area overlooks Round Lake. Four season recreational opportunities abound with municipally owned ski hill Mt McSauba and Charlevoix Golf Club. In addition, there are multiple nature preserves, golf courses, trails (bike, hiking and water) and ski resorts in close proximity. An ideal community for families as the school system ranks high in achievement and college placement, and opportunities are available for extracurricular activities in arts, sports, and culture.
Position is open until filled with 1st review on June 8th.Optimally, a candidate will be identified by mid-July. Questions about the position can be directed to City Manager Mark Heydlauff (231-547-3270 or firstname.lastname@example.org).