The Town of Gouldsboro is a small community that makes up a collection of villages: Prospect Harbor, Birch Harbor, Corea, West Gouldsboro, South Gouldsboro, Ashville, Bunkers Harbor, and Gouldsboro Point. The Town has a strong heritage in fishing and aquaculture. Population for year-round resident estimates are 1,700, but it tends to fluctuate over the summer with visitors and increased outdoor activities.
The Town is seeking a highly qualified full-time person for the role of Police Chief. The ideal candidate will have a proven history of progressive transformations of an agency, including alignment with modern community policing philosophies. This is both an administrative role and requires time on the road for police coverage. The Police Chief also acts as the Town's Animal Control Officer.
Government: The Town of Gouldsboro is a Town Meeting form of government with a Select Board, where the Police Chief reports directly to the Town Manager.
● Up to 3% matching contribution to an ICMA 457 Plan
● One unit of healthcare (can contribute to dental and vision plans)
● 12 paid holidays off
● 40 hours of paid vacation (annual accruals increase with years served per employee policy)
● Designated work cell phone, police vehicle, and other equipment issued for Town business
Application: Complete a town application available on the website, resume, cover letter, one letter of recommendation, a work example of an executed transformative department policy or department plan, and salary request. Any incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications are open until the position is filled. Please send application materials to the Town Manager at email@example.com.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (illustrative purposes only)
● Ability to create department's mission, vision, values and strategic goals to create and achieve meaningful performance metrics.
● Thorough knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
● Considerable knowledge of applicable laws, ordinances, MOUs, and department rules and regulations.
● Ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel.
● Ability to perform work requiring good physical condition.
● Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to give verbal and written instructions.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers and supervisors, town officials, and community organization; and to communicate, interact effectively with citizens, the public, and news media.
● Ability to exercise sound judgement in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
● Ability to effectively lead subordinates by example and model desired attitude and behaviors.
● Considerable knowledge of procedures, policies, and laws surrounding animal control.
● Ability to build and execute departmental budget by working with the Town Manager and Budget Committee.
● Must possess, or be able to attain by the time of hire, a valid Maine Driver's License.
● Graduated from the BLETP or complete qualifying law enforcement program.
● 3-5 years of Police Chief experience or 8 years of law enforcement experience.
● Must be able to pass an extensive background check.
● Must have proof of completed training and certification issued by the Commissioner, or be able to complete and become certified within 6 months of hire date, for Animal Control Officer.
● A bachelor's degree from an accredit college in criminal justice or police sciences, or other closely and relevant major.
● 6+ years of Police Chief experience.
● Trainings/Certificates such as public records requests related to law enforcement, de-escalation, executive certification, etc.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The Town of Gouldsboro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.